Food Plots Radish and turnips

swhackmaster

So when will the deer start to eat these? They are eating the greens from the radishes but what about the large roots and they aren't touching the turnips yet.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1445911803309.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1445911803309.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 3,197

PillsburyDoughboy

Chances are your turnips are never gonna get eaten by the deer. I'm surprised they are eating on the greens much yet as the greens are quite bitter till the first solid frost. They usually eat on the greens after the first frost as they provide quite a bit of protein the deer need for survival. Radish on the it her hand once other food sources dry up you will see a feeding frenzy on. Probably late November or early Dec well into DEc depending on the size of your crop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barkscraper

Forget the turnips they will attack the radishes until they are killed by the frost then they will start on the root. This is my first year without turnips they just will not eat them in my food plots. The deer will start on the radish top as soon as they figure out what they are. The acorns are already gone where I hunt so they are living in my radishes, oats, wheat, and clover plots. This is my 2nd year planting radishes and it has made a big difference in the number of deer in my plots.

PillsburyDoughboy

barkscraper":11bhh37s said:
Forget the turnips they will attack the radishes until they are killed by the frost then they will start on the root. This is my first year without turnips they just will not eat them in my food plots. The deer will start on the radish top as soon as they figure out what they are. The acorns are already gone where I hunt so they are living in my radishes, oats, wheat, and clover plots. This is my 2nd year planting radishes and it has made a big difference in the number of deer in my plots.
. This!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swhackmaster

I hope they figure out what the radishes are. Because if they do that's alot of food sticking up out of the ground. First frost put a hurt on the radish greens

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

spoon

Frost doesn't hurt radishes a sustained temps of 20° kills the head. As for the radish, deer started eating them in late Jan on my place. Radish doesn't need a frost like turnips and rape for deer to start eating, they like them as soon as they start growing. I planted over 4 acres if radishes ony place

RedDawg

They've been hitting my radishes since they came up. This picture was on 10/18. The radishes in the exclusion zone are 8"- 10" taller. Just hope some are still around on 11/7 when black powder opens.

2015-10-17%2008.36.17.jpg

dogtown

At my place forage radish are one of the first to get hit, dwarf essex rape as well. Turnips are later on in December.

Attachments

• 20151020_141100_resized (1).jpg
    20151020_141100_resized (1).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,953

dogtown

I did some more evaluation of my brassicas. Most of the "Groundhog" Forage Radishes have the greens nibbled, some of the Dwarf Essex Rape, but none of the turnips as of Friday.

More action that the typical brassica field this time of year.

Virtually no acorns in Roane county to speak of. Fields will be important this fall.

Attachments

• 20150827_150430_resized.jpg
    20150827_150430_resized.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 2,876
  • 20151029_130021.jpg
    20151029_130021.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2,886

TNTony

I haven't researched the subject of radishes....Is a a lot of soil preparation necessary? I also take it that deer are digging for the radishes later in the plants life cycle?

Boll Weevil

Last year was the first time trying them but best I can tell the radishes I planted were untouched. We didn't get our beans out till late in the year so that may have been the culprit, but radish plantings in numerous different areas around the farm had little to no sign of browsing. I might try some next year but if the deer don't eat them, my radish planting days might be over.