Quiet

Trey13

Come on man. "Just check yourself at the door"
Dr Evil Whatever GIF
!
Or on the 50

Mescalero

So, to get back to the original purpose of the post, but you guys feel free to turn it into whatever you want to turn it into.

USC and UCLA are joining the Big Ten (2024) about a year after Oklahoma and Texas announced they are joining the SEC (2025, if not sooner). I think it's clear there will be only two power conferences in a few years - B1G and SEC. Whatever remains or doesn't of the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 will be equivalent to today's G5. Notre Dame will be forced to join a conference. Their media deal with NBC is expiring after the 2025 season (and given how the B1G and the SEC will look, NBC isn't going to renew it), but ND brings a lot of eyeballs. I just don't see them joining the SEC. ND joins the B1G next. I just don't see either conference having more than 24 schools. This is all being driven by media.

Currently, and including the moves of OU, UT, UCLA, and USC, the B1G and the SEC can claim control of 8 of the top 10 Designated Market Areas (DMAs). The only ones up for grabs are #6 San Francisco/Oakland and #10 Boston. If the B1G gets ND, it will get a good chunk of Boston (and further solidify its hold on #1 NYC. Wouldn't mind Stanford joining the B1G (and ND might insist on that) and who cares about Cal, but both would bring SFO to the B1G without question.

When one goes through the top 50 DMAs, its clear how this turns out in the B1G's and the SEC's favor (and already has) and why there are only a handful of other schools worthy of joining either conference (think eyeballs not football programs because football only matters if people, and a lot of them, are watching it). With their new conference members, B1G will control 17.5 top 50 DMAs and SEC will control 13.5 (I have them splitting St. Louis). ACC controls 8, Pac 12 controls 7, and Big 12 only 2. Clemson doesn't move the needle at all just as ND will get you Boston, not BC.

In my opinion, these are the only remaining schools that matter: Cal, Stanford, Arizona State, Washington, FSU, Colorado, Miami, Oregon, UNC. Maybe Utah (Salt lake City), Virginia, Va Tech. I think it will be hard for either conference to justify going to 24 schools. Might end at 20 each.

To the B1G (after ND): Stanford, Washington, Oregon (unless Cal needed for SFO).

To the SEC: FSU, Miami, Arizona State, Arizona (ASU alone won't get the SEC Phoenix).

There could be a war over UNC.

https://oaaa.org/Portals/0/Public PDFs/OAAA 2021 NIELSEN DMA Rankings Report.pdf

Mescalero

I realize that. Just wondering if there's a point where they are expendable.
I do not think so. Rutgers and Vandy are the luckiest programs, especially Rutgers. Today, they aren't expendable. Rutgers gets the B1G NYC and Vandy gets the SEC Nashville, the #29 DMA and growing, and a large, wealthy, global alumni.

cbhunter

So, to get back to the original purpose of the post, but you guys feel free to turn it into whatever you want to turn it into.

USC and UCLA are joining the Big Ten (2024) about a year after Oklahoma and Texas announced they are joining the SEC (2025, if not sooner). I think it's clear there will be only two power conferences in a few years - B1G and SEC. Whatever remains or doesn't of the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 will be equivalent to today's G5. Notre Dame will be forced to join a conference. Their media deal with NBC is expiring after the 2025 season (and given how the B1G and the SEC will look, NBC isn't going to renew it), but ND brings a lot of eyeballs. I just don't see them joining the SEC. ND joins the B1G next. I just don't see either conference having more than 24 schools. This is all being driven by media.

Currently, and including the moves of OU, UT, UCLA, and USC, the B1G and the SEC can claim control of 8 of the top 10 Designated Market Areas (DMAs). The only ones up for grabs are #6 San Francisco/Oakland and #10 Boston. If the B1G gets ND, it will get a good chunk of Boston (and further solidify its hold on #1 NYC. Wouldn't mind Stanford joining the B1G (and ND might insist on that) and who cares about Cal, but both would bring SFO to the B1G without question.

When one goes through the top 50 DMAs, its clear how this turns out in the B1G's and the SEC's favor (and already has) and why there are only a handful of other schools worthy of joining either conference (think eyeballs not football programs because football only matters if people, and a lot of them, are watching it). With their new conference members, B1G will control 17.5 top 50 DMAs and SEC will control 13.5 (I have them splitting St. Louis). ACC controls 8, Pac 12 controls 7, and Big 12 only 2. Clemson doesn't move the needle at all just as ND will get you Boston, not BC.

In my opinion, these are the only remaining schools that matter: Cal, Stanford, Arizona State, Washington, FSU, Colorado, Miami, Oregon, UNC. Maybe Utah (Salt lake City), Virginia, Va Tech. I think it will be hard for either conference to justify going to 24 schools. Might end at 20 each.

To the B1G (after ND): Stanford, Washington, Oregon (unless Cal needed for SFO).

To the SEC: FSU, Miami, Arizona State, Arizona (ASU alone won't get the SEC Phoenix).

There could be a war over UNC.

https://oaaa.org/Portals/0/Public PDFs/OAAA 2021 NIELSEN DMA Rankings Report.pdf

I have a confession to make. I LITERALLY fell asleep reading this post earlier. Set my phone down and snoozed for an hour afterwards. Came back, read it and still unsure what I read 😂

Not a shot at you B1G guy, just being honest 😜

wayne

I do not think so. Rutgers and Vandy are the luckiest programs, especially Rutgers. Today, they aren't expendable. Rutgers gets the B1G NYC and Vandy gets the SEC Nashville, the #29 DMA and growing, and a large, wealthy, global alumni.
Vandy gets the SEC what?

THEdonkey0515

I have a confession to make. I LITERALLY fell asleep reading this post earlier. Set my phone down and snoozed for an hour afterwards. Came back, read it and still unsure what I read 😂

Not a shot at you B1G guy, just being honest 😜
I've read over it twice still dont think I care.

Also how was we supposed to know a thread titled "Quiet" and opening statement being "it's very Quiet" ment we was supposed to talk about whatever that is your wanting to talk about.

Mescalero

I've read over it twice still dont think I care.

Also how was we supposed to know a thread titled "Quiet" and opening statement being "it's very Quiet" ment we was supposed to talk about whatever that is your wanting to talk about.
You mean after all this time you guys are telling me y'all actually believe the SEC has all that power and money because it's good at football?

THEdonkey0515

You mean after all this time you guys are telling me y'all actually believe the SEC has all that power and money because it's good at football?
I don't personally get that crazy with it and really don't care. I keep up with Tennessee recruiting a bit for fun. Watch every UT game and a few other prime time match ups during the year that's about it.

I don't really care about Oklahoma and texas coming to the SEC i would love to see a UT vs UT match up soon! didn't give a crap when Missouri came over and certainly don't care what UCLA and Usc do.

Not really worried about the Big 10 taking over or whatever your trying to say good for them I guess.

Latest posts