Question on quality...

CamohunterAGAIN

Alright... I got a gun stolen last year and I want to replace it... I had a rmington 30.06 700 adl... it was an older gun but shot real well
I have gone out looking and I am not in a position to spend a lot of cash right now so I am bargain shopping...
I looked at those remington's with the synthetic stock that come already with a scope and the action of those seems crappy to me...
Then I looked at a Stevens...I am not familiar with this gun but the action was smooth...and to me comparable to one of the remmy's with a higher sticker price...
Anybody know anything about Steven's????

vonb

I have a Stevens 200 and they are a great gun for the money. However, they are not the same game as a Remington ADL if comparing old-school budget guns to new-school budget guns.

Bottom line is that the Stevens is nothing pretty but is very accurate and provides a no frills hunting tool that will deliver when you need it to. You just have to look beyond the plastic follower, stock and trigger guard.

vonb

Stevens is now the same rifle as the Savage minus the Accu-trigger.

CamohunterAGAIN

Oh I agree with that...it is just finding one that is for sale and money friendly enough at this time...
I have looked at the savage...I am not looking to spend more than about $350 and I don't even know where that is going to come from...

What about the Mossberg ATR line? Has anyone used these?

Locksley

Cull Buck Hunter said:
A used Remington 700 ADl or SPS would be a money friendly choice.

Today at 6:45pm, huntintn wrote:Carried daddies old 742 30.06 woodsmaster today. He owned it when I was 13. I wish it could talk.

I did carry my fathers old 721 Remington in 30/06 on many a hunt in the 1980''s now my brother carries it on his farm for deer .

Back when i was hunting with the old 721 all my hunting buddies carried 742 Remington woodsmasters in 30/06 and we killed many deer in Cheatham and then Hickman county after land got so hard to get permission to hunt on in Cheatham county. Cheatham county was the hot spot at first as it was the first place in Tennessee that they stocked the deer at . I still have a 742 Remington woodsmasters in 270 Winchester caliber that did belong to a now dead hunting buddy of mine. He killed many deer in Colorado and in Hickman county Tennessee with that rifle.
The rifles are so good that they last more than a lifetime and get passed down from fathers to sons , may it always be so. May the rifles and old Case knives and swords and such be allways passed to the sons of America from there fathers.
Locksley

RUBLINE

I have a Mossberg ATR IN 30-06 and a Remigton ADL in .243. Both guns are very accurate. The Mossy was 100.00 cheaper and does just as well as anything I have used. This includes Tikka's and Browning A bolts...

CamohunterAGAIN

Thanks guys.... I checked out a ATR in .308 the other day... action seemed better than the low end remmy...I really am not looking for an heirloom at this point... I just am wanting a new deer rifle ...at this point in the season I will probably just pull out my Grand-daddys thuty-thuty and go old school with the iron sights or I may just stick to the bow... but i appreciate the input... You know you can stand in the gun section of a store for hours and still not make a decision... :)

Tiny

".... You know you can stand in the gun section of a store for hours and still not make a decision... "

Naw,you just end up wanting them all. LOL

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

Tikkabuck

For an inexpensive gun,my son just bought a new Howa in .308 with a Houge stock. I always like the Weatherby Vanguards for the price and Howa as we all know builds them. I've never really looked at the Howas much though but I gotta say for a $400 gun out the door I'm impressed with the workmanship. Bolts smooth and locks up tight,no machine marks I can find,good adjustable trigger breaks clean and crisp,stock has a good feel to it.

Latest posts