Remington Quality

Grizzly Johnson

I know at a point in time, Remington quality went downhill… Anyone have any experience with the newer rifles that have the square etched in the receiver? Seen a R700 Long Range in 30-06 and was just curious.

7X57

I'll second that. They are hit and miss. I bought one that shot factory ammo in 3/4" and then another wouldn't chamber a round because they didn't finish reaming the chamber. That's a huge oversight. You can find the Christensen Arms Mesa for $950 at times. That's a much nicer rifle for $300 more. It also comes with a trigger tech trigger and a PTG bolt with mini m16 extractor. That is if your stuck on a Rem 700 platform.

DaveTN

I'm a Remington Fan Boy, never had anything but quality from them. They only guns I have heard about coming from the new owners is 870's. Some folks said the stocks were proud where they meet the frame but shot fine.

Good thread, I haven't heard anything about the new rifles yet.

I have a 2008 700 VLS in 308 that is a great rifle. And a cheap 597 that is the most accurate rimfire I have ever seen. I also have a Model 1100 Competition Synthetic with a recoil absorbing stock that is an absolute cream puff to shoot.

I hope they, and all other American gun manufacturers make it, foreign gun imports could be stopped with the stroke of a pen.

You will always have those that say the old stuff was better. I'm old and been in manufacturing most all my life and I don't buy that. But it certainly could happen when companies change hands if they start cutting costs on manufacturing.

DaveTN

Ruger did get marlin, but wonder who acquired the remington firearm division?
The Roundhill Group

7X57

I sure hope they get there act together because I've always loved Remington rifles. I did see some of the new rifles on the shelf this weekend and they have a "jeweled bolt". It looked absolutely awful with no craftsmanship whatsoever. Definitely not the jeweling we are used to seeing from Remington in the past on the BDL or original Mountain rifles.

knightrider

Bought a new 308 adl yesterday went home and right out of the box had to finish tapping the scope base screw holes😡 doesnt give me much hope in how its gonna shoot

Steverino

I've loved the Remington Rifles and shotguns for years - have a rifle and shotgun. Same with Mossberg they make nice guns. As far as old stuff being better I had a Colt Mustang from the 80s and it couldn't hit broadside of a barn. Traded it in on another gun. In 2000s I bought a newer version which was CNC machined which I still have and is a tack driver for a gun that small.

348Winchester

Remington has had more than its share of issues. Their quality has been poor for 30 years.

Yes, not each and every gun they manufactured during this time was junk but many, many were. Their lack of quality control crept into every model. A rifle can be accurate but have other issues. Remington's issues have run the gambit! I sincerely hope they get back to making good products. But, for now, I would refrain from any purchases until they are proven.

As far as older guns being better, as always, there are two sides. Any process involving humans will have ups and downs. Overall, the top manufacturers have experienced this. Look at the quality of a Winchester 94 made before 1964 and ones made later. Especially during the 64-69 years the great 94 suffered from quality issues. Eventually, it rebounded but not quite ever again to its heyday. That's just one example but there are sundry others.

The AR rifles were once near junk. Now they are greatly improved.

DaveTN

Changes in materials and manufacturing processes happen all the time. That can come with issues. Just as "hand fitting" came with issues in the past.

If you need a part that has very high manufacturing tolerances you will pay more for it than the same part with more acceptable tolerance.

Costs are the driving factor. The Remington 700 and the 870 owned the general market. They did that by keeping the cost reasonable for an above average quality product for the average hunter or shooter. Can they do that again? We shall see.

Functionality is on the gun, accuracy is generally on the shooter. Can you buy accuracy? No. If you can't shoot a $800 rifle accurately, you probably can't shoot a $5K rifle accurately.

Everyone here will always argue which rifle or shotgun is better, same as they do in the caliber wars. Like anything, you won't hear a lot from the people shooting and having no issues. You will hear from the ones that do have issues.

I think more than quality issues, the absolute decline of customer support has hurt all manufacturers. For example, Smith & Wesson was the gold standard for customer support. They aren't anymore. But when you are selling more guns than you can get in people's hands; I guess they don't feel that is a big issue.

I started machining in 1971, I've seen a lot, some good and some bad. I will say this, you can pick any manufactured product you like, and we (manufacturing today) can absolutely outperform the same product and quality of the "old" days. But will everyone want to pay the increased cost of that product caused by more accurate machines, or highly trained machinists instead of machine operators. Some will and some won't. That's why many have varying product lines.

I hope our American gun manufacturers can hold the line and stay in business. Politics could end foreign imports.

SSlater

I saw a new Remington 700 CDL ? in 30-06 a couple months ago. Absolutely beautiful rifle but it was $1200.00

I think I paid $500 for my mountain rifle in the late 90s.

Gmed

Foreign made, but I have three Tikkas….slickest bolts, best triggers and maybe the best out of the box accuracy of a stock factory rifle I have used in their price range…..I have a few of the "Remington when they were Remington" rifles….

Latest posts