Question For BSK or anyone else

Rut-N-Strut

I have noticed A decline In the "Better Bucks" I usually see running around my property.

This is what I am Used to seeing.
My7PT.jpg

year001.jpg

Now This is all we are seeing. Spikes and knarly looking deer 2.5 years of age.

DSCF0783.jpg

HPIM0588.jpg

HPIM0590.jpg

Can You Tell Me What Is Going ON? Is it just not Time For The Big Boys To come Out Or Something?

brier rabbit

well if you want to kill bigge deer. you must stop shooting the little ones. even those spike could become big in a few years. i knew a man who had a pet wild deer, he would come around every winter to be feed. he was a very small spike his first 3 years, his last set of antlers at age 9 13 points lots of mass. he got hit by a car. the gy who had the deer was a advide deer hunter but him and this buck were great pals. the buck came to his house every winter to avoid deer hunter and to get food. he never locked him up but the deer would live in his barn. damdest thing i have ever seen.

p.s. kill more does

BSK

There are so many factors that affect antler development, I really don't know where to start.

But I would highly recommend running trail-cameras. Trail-camera data is invaluable, because it can provide information about ALL the deer using your property, not just the ones that are observed/harvested. There can be a big difference.

BSK

Rut-N-Strut,

I saw your post in the Serious Deer Hunting Forum where you stated you were managing your property for "trophy bucks." If you're truly managing for trophy bucks, you can't kill any bucks younger than fully mature. By shooting young bucks you are undermining your effort.

"Culling" of bucks should NOT be done in a "Quality" deer program. In a trophy program, culling is only used 1) once the buck age tructure has reached the intended goal; and 2) only used to remove bucks that have reached the age necessary to display much of their potential (4 1/2+) and appear not to be able to produce what the program is looking for. Cull bucks are removed not for genetic reasons but simply to remove a mouth from the environment--a mouth that will never be what the program is trying to produce.

BigGameGuy

If indeed you are trying to manage for trophy deer which are required to reach a minimum of 4-1/2 years of age (if not more), the main detriment to your program is the shooting of middle-aged deer (2-1/2 - 3-1/2). Depending upon the property, the shooting one 2-1/2 year old deer may be the equivalent of shooting 2-5 yearlings. The pre-mature shooting of one 3-1/2 year old deer will equate to an even higher number of yearlings being shot. It's the principle of attrition where in a balanced herd the youngest age classes comprise the largest percentage of animals. The number of animals in each cohort (age class) decreases as the animals age. For example in a free-ranging, heavily hunted herd (hypothetical): it may take 100 button bucks to produce 50 yearlings which will produce 25 2-1/2 year olds which will produce 10 3-1/2 year olds which will produce 4 4-1/2 year olds which will produce 1 5-1/2 year old.

Does that make things clear as mud or what?

deerchaser007

You can't shoot'em that young, Pic 3 and 4!! You need to pay close attention to the available habitat on your property. And especially look for dense safe cover for them big boys to feel safe in. Set aside some small areas in that dense cover for sancuaries.

In other words ,.. make them want to come to your property, and then stay on property as much as possible.

Kill does!!!

Latest posts