Question about Dales and Deer steaks

MFBAB

In before someone else googled Au Poivre:

Steak au poivre or pepper steak is a French dish that consists of a steak, traditionally a filet mignon, coated with loosely cracked peppercorns and then cooked. The peppercorns form a crust on the steak when cooked and provide a pungent but complementary counterpoint to the rich flavor of the high-quality beef. The peppercorn crust itself is made by placing the steak in a bed of cracked black (or mixed) peppercorns. Typically, the steak is seared in a hot skillet with a small amount of butter and oil to cook it. The steak is seared at a high temperature to cook the outside quickly and form the crust while leaving the interior rare to medium rare. The steak is then left to rest for several minutes and then served.

Steak au poivre is often accompanied by a pan sauce consisting of reduced cognac, heavy cream, and the fond from the bottom of the pan. Common side dishes to steak au poivre are various forms of mashed potatoes and pommes frites (small fried shoestring potatoes). Steak au poivre may be found in traditional French restaurants in most urban areas.

TNDeerGuy

That is close to how I cook mine. I prefer methods similar to this, as it brings out the natural flavors of the meat and doesn't cover that flavor with strong marinades that change the flavor of the meat.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I use half alegro and half dales low sodium to marinate my deer in, it's hard to beat. I have tried the zesty italian, and I don't care too much for it.

cleatus2506

I've been experimenting with different marinades for about a year and my favorite so far is 2 parts Italian dressing, 1 part Allegro, a couple dashes of worchester (sp?) sauce, couple dashes of hot sauce, tsp of honey and a little garlick powder. Mix all the ingredients together before putting the meat in or you'll wind up with really intense flavor pockets. So far this is my favorite marinade for venison, antelope, steak and chicken. Marinade for 1-4 hours and grill over medium heat.

vabuckbuster

Dales makes a low sodium version. It's all I use. Great stuff on beef or deer. Makes the best jerky in the world. Marinate about 6 hours for jerky. 2 hours for steaks

pulplip fiction

not a big fan of dale's - however i really like the kroger brand steak marinade. 15 to 20 minutes before cooking is ample enough time.

bowriter

R.I.P.
I didn't read all the posts but the main to be carefull of with Dales is not leave the meat in too long and wipe it off when you remove the meat. It is good, but very strong and can overpower the meat.

ShaneHallum

I mix in some garlic powder and dale's in a freezer bag..

I tenderize my steaks before I put them in a freezer bag, and I let them sit in the fridge for several hours. put um out of the bag, and let alot of the dales drip off the meat. Then put it on the grill/skillet. once my steaks are almost done, I take some A-1 steak sauce and pour a little over each peice of steak as it's cooking. use a fork or spoon and kinda mix the steak up in the sauce, it will give it a carmelized look, and almost give the steak a Bark. its really good.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I use a 1/3 Dales and and 2/3rds Coke to marinade.It gives it a sweet n salty flavor.
If you want to try something different from grilling.You can use shake-n-bake and cook it in the oven.
You can also tenderize the meat mix up some salt pepper and flour Fry the steaks and smother in gravey.Just like salisbury steaks.

jb3

If you don't like the taste of venison, then marinade it. If want to enjoy it, just cook it to medium rare, no more, and enjoy. With it being cold outside, get your cast iron skillet very hot and throw the steak down on it. Don't move it until it wants to move, doesn't take long, then flip and repeat. If it's thick, finish in a hot oven (same way most restaurants cook steak, even though the oven's at Ruth Chris are about as hot as the sun.

Thunderroost

personally I think Dale's and Allegro are both nasty.

my favorite is KC Masterpiece "Steakhouse" marinade....i leave it in there 3-4 hours, tastes awesome, not overpowering and salty like a lot of brands

medwc

Liquid smoke and worchestershire sauce in ground deer, a thin spread of REAL salted butter on both sides of thick deer steak just before grilling medium.

moondawg

I usually add a little water when I use Dales. And I don't leave it in there long, anywhere from 30 minutes to maybe an hour.

Latest posts