Cast iron skillet steaks

Southpaw

I use my biggest cast iron skillet and get it hot,hot,hot! Add a dab of butter and your steaks. They will stick at first but release in a minute or so. I go 2 minutes and flip, 2 more minutes and then finish in the oven on broil for about two to three minutes. This should have you at a good medium rare dependent on the thickness of your steaks. Mushrooms are optional!

Attachments

• IMG_0640.png
    IMG_0640.png
    576.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0639.png
    IMG_0639.png
    496.2 KB · Views: 30

Travis G.

I usually get cast iron hot and use unsalted butter as it doesn't burn like salted butter. I get about a min on all sides just until you get a nice little crust. I finish in oven at 350 degrees (primarily to reduce smoke). About 10-15 min at 350 depending on thickness will be med rare. I usually cook 2 inch thick filet this way

smalljawbasser

I put mine on my grill cause it gets hotter than my oven and doesn't smoke my house up. If you ain't got enough butter and heat to smoke your house up you ain't doing it right.

Preheat on high to 550-600

Butter in skillet and sear steak on each side ~30 seconds. 4 minutes on first side, 3 on second side is medium rare with perfect crust for me with almost any 1 1/2" steak

mike243

Never knew butter could flame up, cast iron skillet 15 minutes on a big ass propane burner, whole stick dropped in poof, blacken fish or steak like nothing else, a good blackening season on said meat. if thick finish on a grill after a good crust is formed.

TAFKAP

Anyone want to share tips on cooking steaks in a cast iron skillet?

People don't preheat their cast iron. Let it ride on a low burner for at least 5 minutes, or preheat in the oven. People also don't season their meat properly. Salt & pepper at least one hour prior to cooking is an absolute must. When it's time to cook, dab the moisture off with a paper towel so that you're not cooking wet meat.

For thin steaks 1" or less:
Once the pan is preheated, increase the heat to medium, TOPS and let it get hot for at least 5 minutes.
Add your oil of choice. I prefer butter for steaks. Let the butter sizzle, melt, then stop bubbling
Add your meat and leave it in place for about 2-3 minutes. Press down to ensure 100% contact
Don't pry the meat up. Lift it up. If it won't freely release, it's not done searing.
Flip steak once, repeat above steps and let the meat rest. If you want your steak more done than medium, pop it in a 400° oven for 5-10 mins

For thick steaks greater than 1", consider using a leave-in meat thermometer. Season at least 2 hours prior to cooking. Pat dry.
Preheat your skillet as above, as well as a 300° oven
Add a pat of butter and let it melt, then place your dry steak in the melted butter in the warm skillet. Pop it in the oven
If using a thermometer, pull the steak when it hits 120°-130° depending on thickness. Thicker steaks will want 130°. Thinner steaks will be good at 120°.
If no thermometer, trial & error your way through a timeframe of about 20 minutes, plus/minus.
Rest steak on a plate
While steak rests on a plate, use the "THIN STEAK" method above to finish.

Whichever method you're using, the pan will develop the brown bits called "fond". If you use medium heat, it shouldn't burn. Avoid garlic for this method because even if your fond doens't burn, the garlic will and it won't taste good. When your steak is done, turn the heat up in the pan to about medium-high for a minute to get it all to sizzle. Splash about 1/4 cup of red wine in, and scrape the pan clean with a wooden spoon. Once it's smooth and free of browned bits, let the wine bubble down, reduce heat to low, and toss in a couple pats of butter. Once the butter melts and smooths out the sauce, add in some chopped garlic or shallots, grind some pepper, and salt to taste. Serve with the steak.

WTM

one of my posts from long ago on deer steaks:

redblood

I use my biggest cast iron skillet and get it hot,hot,hot! Add a dab of butter and your steaks. They will stick at first but release in a minute or so. I go 2 minutes and flip, 2 more minutes and then finish in the oven on broil for about two to three minutes. This should have you at a good medium rare dependent on the thickness of your steaks. Mushrooms are optional!
Yep and my favorite steak (dont laugh) is pan seared thin cut round steak. It has incredible flavor

yesmarwh

2-Step Enabled
People don't preheat their cast iron. Let it ride on a low burner for at least 5 minutes, or preheat in the oven. People also don't season their meat properly. Salt & pepper at least one hour prior to cooking is an absolute must. When it's time to cook, dab the moisture off with a paper towel so that you're not cooking wet meat.

For thin steaks 1" or less:
Once the pan is preheated, increase the heat to medium, TOPS and let it get hot for at least 5 minutes.
Add your oil of choice. I prefer butter for steaks. Let the butter sizzle, melt, then stop bubbling
Add your meat and leave it in place for about 2-3 minutes. Press down to ensure 100% contact
Don't pry the meat up. Lift it up. If it won't freely release, it's not done searing.
Flip steak once, repeat above steps and let the meat rest. If you want your steak more done than medium, pop it in a 400° oven for 5-10 mins

For thick steaks greater than 1", consider using a leave-in meat thermometer. Season at least 2 hours prior to cooking. Pat dry.
Preheat your skillet as above, as well as a 300° oven
Add a pat of butter and let it melt, then place your dry steak in the melted butter in the warm skillet. Pop it in the oven
If using a thermometer, pull the steak when it hits 120°-130° depending on thickness. Thicker steaks will want 130°. Thinner steaks will be good at 120°.
If no thermometer, trial & error your way through a timeframe of about 20 minutes, plus/minus.
Rest steak on a plate
While steak rests on a plate, use the "THIN STEAK" method above to finish.

Whichever method you're using, the pan will develop the brown bits called "fond". If you use medium heat, it shouldn't burn. Avoid garlic for this method because even if your fond doens't burn, the garlic will and it won't taste good. When your steak is done, turn the heat up in the pan to about medium-high for a minute to get it all to sizzle. Splash about 1/4 cup of red wine in, and scrape the pan clean with a wooden spoon. Once it's smooth and free of browned bits, let the wine bubble down, reduce heat to low, and toss in a couple pats of butter. Once the butter melts and smooths out the sauce, add in some chopped garlic or shallots, grind some pepper, and salt to taste. Serve with the steak.
I agree with everything, but best to use clarified butter and if you don't have any, just add a little olive oil to you butter. You will get alot less smoking.

waterman

did pan fried ribeyes last night from beef i just picked up. preheat pan in 450 oven put on stove top on high. sear 1 minute each side then finish in oven 5 mins. topped with butter to rest ten minutes. nice crust, mid rare

mike243

Well for a taste treat, throw the cast iron on the grill get hot then add the butter and fry/grill your steak, A little smoke/charcoal flavor with a good sear is hard to beat.

Latest posts