Deer Shanks!

JJ3

I think that shanks (both front and rear) may be my favorite part of the deer. I love to cook shanks. Braise them for a few hours in a dutch oven on the stove and they just fall off the bone — all of the gristle and connective tissue just melts away. I cooked a pair of shanks tonight for supper and served with a turnip risotto and sautéed spinach. Delicious.

Finished product
IMG_9848.jpegIMG_9850.jpeg

I started by browning the shanks for a few minutes on each side in olive oil.
IMG_9823.jpeg

Then sautéed some aromatic veggies (onion, celery, carrots, and garlic.
IMG_9824.jpeg

Added a little flour for thickening and a can of tomatoes put up from the garden, along with some broth. Then put the shanks in to braise. And added some twigs of rosemary, thyme, an oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.

IMG_9828.jpeg

They cooked on the stove for 2 hrs 45 minutes on low and they were done!
IMG_9847.jpeg IMG_9849.jpeg

Omega

You definitely should try them. A lot better than just adding it to the grind pile.
I did worse, I would just dump them, cut them off at the knee. I had found a recipe for osso buco on the slow cooker and decided to try it, just haven't got around to doing it yet. I didn't keep a deer this year, so will have to wait until next season.

MidTennFisher

That looks awesome. We make them in similar fashion and love it. Most people just grind them up or discard them entirely not knowing that when slow cooked like this the meat is fantastic.

Sure there is still a little but of stuff to remove but that's a small price to pay for the quality of that meat.

JJ3

I did worse, I would just dump them, cut them off at the knee. I had found a recipe for osso buco on the slow cooker and decided to try it, just haven't got around to doing it yet. I didn't keep a deer this year, so will have to wait until next season.
I follow a recipe for osso buco that I use when making osso buco from veal shanks. I've used this same recipe for lamb shanks too.

JJ3

That looks awesome. We make them in similar fashion and love it. Most people just grind them up or discard them entirely not knowing that when slow cooked like this the meat is fantastic.

Sure there is still a little but of stuff to remove but that's a small price to pay for the quality of that meat.

Exactly!

TAFKAP

Getting the shanks to eat was the reason I started hanging on the gambrel at the tarsal bones, not through the shank tendon

Omega

I love them, almost as much as the neck. Going to see what I have in the freezer for this weekend.
That is another thing that I did not like processing, but I made some neck stew in the crockpot once and I changed my opinion on it. I still shoot them in the neck, but I save as much as I can for the crockpot. Will still need to debone in a CWD area, but at least I won't have to worry about cleaning it as good as I do the quarters, that stuff just melted away.

Kahrman

I do them the same way except I use a mixture of red wine and beef stock to braise them in. When they are done I dump all the veggies and braising liquid into a blender and blend into a thicker sauce to pour back over the shanks. They are delicious.

Latest posts