Public land treestands

BMan

knightrider said:
Vermin93 said:
knightrider said:
just because a stand is on public land doesnt make it a public stand, i personally dont care who gets in mine as long as they leave it when they go

So I can put stands on public land and claim those trees for myself? Sweet! I like the idea of having my own private trees on public land just by putting a stand there, especially if it allows me to claim the few good trees that might be in a certain area.
nope didnt say the tree wasnt still public, but just because its public land doesnt mean your butt has one ounce of ownership or the right to sit in that stand!
In the eyes of the law, if you haven't followed the regulations when placing your stand on public land, it's abandoned property.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
knightrider said:
EastTNHunter said:
knightrider said:
Vermin93 said:
knightrider said:
just because a stand is on public land doesnt make it a public stand, i personally dont care who gets in mine as long as they leave it when they go

So I can put stands on public land and claim those trees for myself? Sweet! I like the idea of having my own private trees on public land just by putting a stand there, especially if it allows me to claim the few good trees that might be in a certain area.
nope didnt say the tree wasnt still public, but just because its public land doesnt mean your butt has one ounce of ownership or the right to sit in that stand!

Not trying to be argumentative, but if a ladder stand is set up on a tree then it is tying up that tree so that no one else can use it, effectively making a claim on that tree. This is one of the main reasons that I use climbers, so that I do not leave a ladder stand tying up a tree on public land.
thats very true the point im trying to make is if a car is unlocked and keys in it on a public parking lot you still have nor right to get in it and drive? same principals? this im entitled to whatever i want because its public ground makes no sense to me a little respect and ethics goes a long ways in this world of no common sense! yes i agree these guys have claimed the spot but they didnt take anyones stands down to put theirs up so they beat em to the spot no biggie hunt some where else

KR, let's take the car analogy to the logical extreme: Doing this with a treestand is akin to parking your car in the middle of the road on public land, blocking access and road usage, and then expecting not to be towed. If someone came up to me while I was hunting an area on public land and asked me to move, even if they had a stand right next to where I was hunting, I would tell them to cram salt.

JSPAL270

Hey I would and do if I find a stand on public land. I would be glad to leave if the owner showed up. I gave had the same problem you have a place I hunt borders a private field some guys have some nice stands on the private over looking TVA land all the deer are on TVA and I hunt along a pine thicket 200yds from there property, had one guy threaten to shoot me out of the tree I calmly explained I was not carting a walking stick

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Re: Public land treestands: Updated

A little update: I got out there this afternoon and the ladder stand in the area that I was planning on hunting had been moved. It was kind of surprising since this stand has obviously been there for a while (since last season, at least). So I made an opening in the thick brush right in front of it on the edge of the field just big enough for a de facto blind. I then proceeded to buck out for this season by shooting a 5 pointer at last light. I thought that it was a doe through the brush of the "blind" and the shadows, but it will eat good. I had seen a little larger 6 point earlier, but let it walk. Oh well, there's nothing like a kill on pressured public land...

dpmiller613

I have a question since I'm new to Tennessee, is there any requirement to mark treestands on private land? I find nothing in the TN Guide and when I Google the question I get nothing but crap about public lands.

deathcloud88

I know this is an old thread, but according to the WMA regs you can't leave a stand in place for more then 24 hours.

Treestands: The use of wire, nails or other metal material is prohibited in the building or attaching of climbing devices or hunting stands. Portable devices or stands that do not injure trees can be used. Hunting from permanent, attached stands is prohibited. Leaving any personal property, including treestands, unattended for more than 24 hours is prohibited without prior approval of the area manager. WMAs require that treestands must be marked with the hunter's TWRA ID number.

Madbowh

I know this is an old thread, but according to the WMA regs you can't leave a stand in place for more then 24 hours.

Treestands: The use of wire, nails or other metal material is prohibited in the building or attaching of climbing devices or hunting stands. Portable devices or stands that do not injure trees can be used. Hunting from permanent, attached stands is prohibited. Leaving any personal property, including treestands, unattended for more than 24 hours is prohibited without prior approval of the area manager. WMAs require that treestands must be marked with the hunter's TWRA ID number.
Not trying to hijack the thread but this is the first time I've seen anyone specifically post something like this. I only hunt public land and I have ladder stands I is with my kids, if I set one up and go back the next day and someone's near it we will go somewhere else,if they're in it they can have the area but not use my stand is my property(yes on public land but I'm within the laws and no one has the right to use my property i.e stand) if I left my climber and someone's around but not in sight I'll sit if they're on sight of me I'll move unless I sat the morning and went back after lunch or a break for some reason. I try to be decent, respectful, courteous of others.

Now to what you postedand this goes to so many things these days. First I was in Catoosa on the youth hunt and my daughter said what is that sign for a reward I said go read itand she did. We got to our area parked and I was getting ready and she said the game wardens owes her 10 grand because they could go ahead and prosecute themselves for putting 2 nails and a board in a tree I turned my head and tried not to laugh. Another spot in Catoosa they have a cable wrapped around a tree that's been there for so long you'd need a chainsaw to get it out of the tree. If you go to national parks they almost always put posts in the ground then signs not evertime but most. How many guys on here way back had build a wooden stand in a great spot in a group of trees I know on private land back in 80s and 90s I did, and could take you to them now and those trees are fine. The point here is why can any law enforcement, law makers or government agency break the very same laws that they make and while are they not held to the same standard we are and held accountable for breaking the same rules we can be cited for. I think of many of us don't start trying to keep a level playing field we're going to be over run with ridiculous rules and regulations we are are equal law enforcement or not, now I am so for law enforcement be out twra or a police officer but not right that they seem to be above the law no one should be.

Having, using, leaving a stand up to 24 hours is personal choice. There's many things that a lot of people do in the woods that others don't like that's within the laws and that is there free choice be respectful and leave others and their property alone if within laws I have no problem turning away from a spot or situation what. I think people get to angry and take things to serious if tree stands are every involved treat the situation as if it was someone hunting on the ground are they there, ok move on, not there then sit

themanpcl

Hunting IL firearm season late Nov this yr. Season Fri-Sun. We always arrive on Thurs morning and put stands in. Found someone had put a lock on in a place we really wanted to hunt so we moved over a ridge. Saturday my brother wanted to move his stand so he took his climber down and started looking for a spot. I'm 2 ridge fields over and shot "at" a deer (long story but found out later scope was 8"-10" high at 50 so...) and was in field looking to see if I hit anything. About 9a I hear a shot from pistol. Then talking about 100 yds away. I call my brother to see if he's involved. He is. So the guy who put the lock on in (where we wanted to be) walked up while my dumb a** brother thought it'd be ok to sit that stand since no one was around. Guy shot in the air with pistol hiding behind a tree and then decided to talk. He was wearing no orange (speculation but probably no license, no permit and maybe felon) and talking yugo about my brother trying to "take" his stand. So I call my brother to find out if I need to flank his position. He says no and leaves the guy and situation. In short, that could have been a bad situation if it had escalated. On public, the stand still belongs to the individual who placed it and should be treated that way. If the rules for public had specified that if you leave it, it's fair game when you aren't there, maybe different but I personally won't hunt that stand. The suggestion of hunting close to it if no one is in it, great idea. We did that on 2 "bow season or decoy" stands in a great area. No one ever came back to those and we were in our stands so no harm. In short, be careful on public. Some people think if they "found the spot" they own the spot and you being there hunting "their" deer is trespassing on "their" land. Since the DNR agents cover up to 8 counties there, no rule will ever address the stand situations. Be safe, hunt hard, come home alive.

Waterman21

KR, let's take the car analogy to the logical extreme: Doing this with a treestand is akin to parking your car in the middle of the road on public land, blocking access and road usage, and then expecting not to be towed. If someone came up to me while I was hunting an area on public land and asked me to move, even if they had a stand right next to where I was hunting, I would tell them to cram salt.
The whole idea that leaving a stand in the woods claims the spot, tree, or even the stand for that matter is ludacris. That stand is your personal property to take home if you see fit but if you leave it in the woods that stand is open. The people that are saying that you don't have any right to hunt a stand that's been left in the woods are no different than OPs guys telling him they don't belong on that parcel of TVA land. The mindset itself is bewildering. Like writing your name on a picnic table at the park and walking up to tell the people having a cookout that they need to move because this is your favorite table.

EastTNHunter, you are spot on with this analogy

catman529

That is for WMAs not TVA land.

catman529

I know it's an old thread, but this seems to get discussed a lot.

You got 3 options to make the best of it...

1. Hunt their stand but risk a confrontation with stand owner.
2. Climb another tree nearby, or hunt on the ground.
3. Find another spot to hunt.

I usually take option #3, but have done all 3 at one time or another.

If you're on a boat hunting TVA land, it ain't hard to ride around for a day and find another spot or two that isn't crowded out by neighboring lease hunters.

Example I found a dang good spot last year. Killed 2 does, let a bunch of younger bucks walk. A couple of em were pretty nice 8 points. No sign of other people. This year, I went in during bow season and killed a coyote but saw no deer that morning. Walked around and found 2 different treestands that weren't there before. Decided to just write the spot off for the season and go hunt other spots, which I did, and I even found some new spots that produced.

fisher01

The whole idea that leaving a stand in the woods claims the spot, tree, or even the stand for that matter is ludacris. That stand is your personal property to take home if you see fit but if you leave it in the woods that stand is open. The people that are saying that you don't have any right to hunt a stand that's been left in the woods are no different than OPs guys telling him they don't belong on that parcel of TVA land. The mindset itself is bewildering. Like writing your name on a picnic table at the park and walking up to tell the people having a cookout that they need to move because this is your favorite table.

EastTNHunter, you are spot on with this analogy
Since I only hunt public land, I'll add a few comments. If someone leaves a tree stand, climber, or ground blind on public land, the way I see it, its for that hunters convenience only. They do not own that tree, spot or area.. public land is open to everyone to hunt.

Anyone who leaves their personal property should only do so when following all the rules/regulations.

Now since you do not own that area, its first come first served. If I arrive in the woods a half an hour before you, in an area where you have a tree stand, too bad. I'm there first and you should just move on to your next spot.

Too think you own a area where I have been hunting for the last 10 years from the ground because you placed a tree stand up a few days earlier before season starts is insane.

Public land is open to all and who ever walked into an unoccupied area has the right to hunt peacefully.

If I drive up to an area where I want to hunt and see other trucks/cars there, I simply move on to my second/third locations. Simply put, someone got there before I did, they have the right to hunt, so I'll move on.

DRSJ35

I will also move on to a different spot even though I been hunting that public land for many years I still don't own it. And nails in trees is so someone isn't decapitated at the saw mill. Other than that I don't know.if there's a stand up there so what. An empty stand won't kill anything.

uncle_loue

I hunt public land exclusively. Of 5 WMAs ive hunted this season; ive encountered unoccupied stands/blinds on 4 of them. If I like the spot and find fresh deer sign nearby I simply check the wind and setup in a place that is advantageous should the hunter of that stand/blind decide to make an appearance. more often than not, if they do show up it creates an opportunity for me. i dont mess with their stuff but ill use their position to my advantage.

Urban_Hunter

Went scouting some wma land this weekend. Picked three spots I've never been to on the map that looked good and two of them had stands precisely where I was looking to set up. I'm really surprised by how many stands there are out there. I'm with some of the older posts… unless there is a disability or special circumstance, I wish the wma managers wouldn't allow them

Grill-n-man

Knowing it's TVA not WMA, Corps of engineer, etc solves first problem. If it's TVA undeveloped land that allows hunting then all must know and follow TVA rules. TVA is one thing and that is very vocal and proud about their land and how they allow the general public to use it free of charge. If rules say you can hunt the stands like the rules say about duck blinds then that's for you to decide if messing with another's property is worth what's coming. Also you better be aware of a surprise waiting on you. Ain't no different than 30 years ago when bowater was the public land owner and everything from razor blades glued to the ladder to actually being shot at while in stand happened. Also not sure who your TVA contact is but if they are not a badged TVA officer in their law enforcement division and instructed by their boss to conduct TVA official business but instead choose to represent TVA on their own, we'll let's just say being what's considered a federal officer doing your own thing off duty under the pretense of representing TVA ain't going to end good at all. Your pickle is deciding how much you going to pony up in this fight