Public land access rig

Vermin93

Creative, that's for sure.

IMAG0841_zpse6bf8318.jpg

ImThere

Very nice. seen a few like that not sure if how much legal use one would get. It seems like i read something about staying on the trails with one? i have been going to check in to making one myself for a couple of years now

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Love it. I used to ride my bike in to hunt at several WMA's Nice quite way to ease in to hunt in the mornings. I always just carried some Camo blind material and a folding chair. Then I'd find a dead fall to set up in.Never tried to haul a deer out with it. Always went back to the truck for my cart.Gave it up after I got older and concerned about a heart attack.

catman529

I need a trailer like that and I'd do it. Have ridden my bike in to private land before but not yet public. Heck I can put a climber and bow on my back and ride in anyway. Might do that this fall

rukiddin

Thats what we used when we used to hunt a NWR draw hunt in Eastern NC. We took regular deer cart and modified it. We fabricated a pin and mounted it with U bolts right under the seat then welded a flat piece to the cart and cut a hold in it. Then just used a cotter pin to hold the cart to the bike. We would be at the gym about every day on the stationary bikes and ride for 2 hours. It was flat in that area, very flat and it was sandy but the the roads were packed pretty hard. I have a pic somewhere of 4 deer on the cart. Once you got momentum going, they pulled pretty well. I had a regular soft gun case zip tied to the diagonal cross piece on the bike. You could slide the gun in just like the scabbord on a saddle.

BigWes22

Got to read the laws on them. I know a buddy of mine that used same setup at Fort Campbell and got a ticket for using 1.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
catman529 said:
I need a trailer like that and I'd do it. Have ridden my bike in to private land before but not yet public. Heck I can put a climber and bow on my back and ride in anyway. Might do that this fall
A word to the wise .If you're cruising along at a good clip and something on your back sticking up catches a low limb you might end up on your back.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
One more word to the wise for anyone thinking about a bike in the woods for hunting. They will get stuck and sink in the mud like anything else. Unless you want Mud up your back and in your crack you might consider a good rain suit over your hunting clothes if it has been raining or is raining. A rain suit becomes a sweat suit when pedaling a bike loaded with gear.

Roost 1

BigWes22 said:
Got to read the laws on them. I know a buddy of mine that used same setup at Fort Campbell and got a ticket for using 1.

He must of got ticket for riding in...use can use something to haul deer out as long as you stay on a firebreak..You cant use anything just to get to a hunting spot..

MattR

I am going to try just a regular bike with everything on my bike this year. Thats pretty darn cool though

Scioto

I'm also going to trick out my mountain bike for hunting access this year. Will see how it goes before outfitting with a trailer. Very quiet and relatively fast way to get in/out. And, scent free. By the way, I don't think securing the trailer to the chainstay is a good idea. Hauling a dressed deer in the trailer could bend the chainstay. I think securing to the seat post is a better idea, but not sure how that would affect balance. Based on my research, bikes are frequently used by deer and elk hunters out west because motorized vehicles are prohibited in many areas. I think it is best to stick to the logging roads with a bike, with ruts, roots, and rocks in the dark being the greatest problem. I have to get in much better shape, however.

catman529

A bike would not be practical in all of the places I hunt but it would be great for those with long trails or logging roads to get in, to cover all the distance quickly rather than walking down a long, flat trail.

Poleaxe

Those things would work great in middle and west Tennessee but to ride one over here in east Tennessee you would have to be a member of the U. S. tour De France team.

double browtine

Disked up corn field planted in wheat might be a chore to ride a bike through. I hunted the river bottoms at cross creeks nwr. Used to ride my mountain bike in on the roads. You didnt see many other hunters when u rode 3.5 miles in.

Scioto

Poleaxe said:
Those things would work great in middle and west Tennessee but to ride one over here in east Tennessee you would have to be a member of the U. S. tour De France team.

I agree, but it's all perspective I guess. Those Rocky Mountain elk and mule deer hunters riding their bikes consider you a flatlander. :)

whiskey

I have ridden my bike in to hunt several places in FL, AL and TN. You can add a shelf to your seat post and strap a milk crate to it and fill it full of junk. I carried my gun and bow across my back in soft cases to keep off the mud from the wheel.

One of the biggest advantages is getting there fast and earlier than the guys that are walking.

Here is a deer cart with a hitch attachment that you can rig for hooking up behind a bike.

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/spo/3968287676.html

fairchaser

If you are going to pull a trailer, you will want a motorized bike or you will be a ball of sweat by the time you reach your stand. I've got a bike and trailer set up for Ames that uses two motors front and back with a total of (5) 12 volt batteries. The rig is heavy but effective. It will haul a deer out too. The entire rig was less than $1000.