Pros & Cons of using an AR-15 for Deer Hunting

Wiley

-Ease of carry. I carry mine slung across my chest which allows me to have my rifle slung while carrying a treestand on my back. I can't do that with a bolt gun.
I'm going to post a couple of videos in the "Rifles" forum concerning a rifle sling that I have been using for 20 years or so that eliminates your issue with bolt gun carry.

JDUB

It's very adjustable for length of pull. I taught my daughter how to shoot on this platform. We can collapse stock so her firm is right. My daughter can deer hunt with it and I can plink with it. Low recoil and weather proof.

LY

Mine has an 18" 6.8 ARP barrel and weighs 6.9 something pounds, I can't really remember. It really surprised me as I also weighed my Model 7 7-08 at the same time and it weighed 6.9 even I think. I didn't put any ammo in them, but this would only matter if put in a bunch of rounds. I typically only put 3 in my bolt guns and carry 2 extras, with the AR I do carry 6 just so I don't have to keep up with the spares.

As mentioned above, adjustable stock is really nice. Makes it easier to swap off with my daughter, wear layers or when hunting certain stands it comes in handy. It's also nice when carrying across your chest, you can keep the gun higher up overall and keep your hands free. With a typical sling I find myself holding the sling on my shoulder almost constantly to keep it from slipping off.

Quick follow up shots not really an issue for me until several pigs come in at once so I don't consider it a real asset.

Almost entire gun is all but rust proof and/or aluminum.

Another plus not mentioned, is that if you have multiple uppers you can easily swap uppers and thereby change calibers. You can get a .22 upper for plinking and/or small game hunting, switch for some deer hunting and switch again for varmint hunting.

Closing the bolt quietly is a pain.

mike243

If ya dont wear glasses leave the dust cover open after loading or pop it open before shooting, I get a eye full if its closed

Hunter 257W

What Ruger said plus I'm not using ANY danged semi auto, brass-scattering gun for anything except self defense.

Being a reloader I can't imagine hunting with a semi and losing my brass.

Hunt 365

Yes, you CAN kill a deer with a .223. But I shot a hog and 2 deer with one and never found them. Next deer, a doe, shot perfectly, no blood trail and only found her grid searching. The .223 (5.56 NATO) was made to wound a man, not kill him. I was using expanded ammo. But I lost faith in it. And the reality is you are shooting a .22 caliber bullet. So, more power to you, but I don't like the caliber. If you're shooting an AR-10 or a larger caliber, more power to you. I have nothing against black rifles. I just don't like the .223 and think TN should've never allowed them for deer.

jag1

Never shot one. I like my 35 and if I circumstances dictate my 270. I like the look and feel of the wood stock. I put off buying a synthetic stock for my duck gun but bit the bullet some years back...don't regret it. I don't like vinyl fences either

mike243

Seen a lot of deer lost with a lot of different calibers and arrows, deer are always hit perfect so it has to be the caliber or the ammo or the broad head 😂 , every deer we have shot with the AR has went less than 50y, had heart shot with 300wm deer run over 100y

1 good shot

It is not really a comfortable thing using an ar after using a bolt action for close to 50 years. I've had success hunting with an ar. It's alot like when I switched to using left handed guns. It's going to take a while before everything feels like it is in the right place

m.Creek

Pros .. you can get fast follow up shots. Cons ..If your using 223/556, you might lose a deer or so due to that small of a bullet.
I've used serval in the past and currently use one for calling in coyotes. Fun platform for calling predators.

infoman jr.

JiDo8Jv.jpg
Here's a .300blk I carried a few times last fall. Handy little thing and perfect for long hikes.

redblood

Well i dont use them for deer hunting, but what would keep me from it is the feel. They dont feel right. I have a superbly accurate byron south r-15 expertly customized by our very own Plateau Hunter. Maybe the most accurate gun i own. It has presided over many a coyote funeral but i just prefer the feel and balance of a wood stocked bolt action for deer and coyotes

Latest posts