Pros & Cons of using an AR-15 for Deer Hunting

jetwrnch

I sometimes have guest hunt some family land with me. Twice someone shot a deer with an AR and neither deer was recovered. I don't allow them anymore. I'm sure they're lethal with a perfect shot and all that, but life isn't perfect. Plus there's the issue of tracking a wounded deer onto the adjacent property. An AR is GREAT for predators. I ended up selling mine just because it was a pain to hunt with compared to a bolt action. They don't seem to balance well with a hunting scope. That's a personal preference though.

Urban_Hunter

Re: Pros & Cons of using an AR-15 for Deer Hunting

Depends on what kind of AR you're talking about. I hunt with an AR in 6.8 which is a .270 cal. It is compact with a 16" barrel, shoots sub-moa, extremely light recoil, completely weather proof, and offers immediate follow up shot. I like to save my does til the end of season then try and take 2-3 in a day so I can process and package them all at once. Without having to cycle the action I have been able to take multiple deer as they come in by the pack. I like to emphasize weather proof... if it's raining I take my AR and when I get done I let it sit in the corner and air dry... no rust worries.

Only con I could think of would be weight if you like carrying a model 7 or other compact rifle.

Here's mine before mods:
12b7fbc4f318f7a5756ad04091436515.jpg

Bucket

I have absolutely embraced it. First thing I did was upgrade to a 6.8mm upper. Scored that from a member here for a great price. In the period of just over a year I've added a good scope, suppressor and limb saver pad so it is unbelievably kid friendly. Just this weekend my 5 year old was busting pumpkins with it at 30 yards. My 9 year old took his first deer with it earlier this year. Next step is a trigger upgrade. This hasn't been the cheapest venture, but I'm thrilled with the results.

Urban_Hunter

jetwrnch":yttdtnel said:
I sometimes have guest hunt some family land with me. Twice someone shot a deer with an AR and neither deer was recovered. I don't allow them anymore. I'm sure they're lethal with a perfect shot and all that, but life isn't perfect. Plus there's the issue of tracking a wounded deer onto the adjacent property. An AR is GREAT for predators. I ended up selling mine just because it was a pain to hunt with compared to a bolt action. They don't seem to balance well with a hunting scope. That's a personal preference though.

I would venture to bet the problem in these instances would be poor shot placement due to inexperience and most likely using the wrong bullet. I'm shooting the 95gr Barnes TTSX in the 6.8 and believe it to perform better than near anything else I own. The TTSX is a game changer. We call the 6.8 the "water hose", a blind man could follow these blood trails.

infoman jr.

Pros:
-Caliber interchangeability. There are plenty of capable calibers for deer available. I'd put 6.5 Grendel near the top although with a proper bullet, a .223 will do just fine.
-Ergonomics. It's nice to be able to have your right elbow (for right-handed shooters) on your knee or treestand and have a vertical grip on the gun. It's much more natural for me.
-Ease of carry. I carry mine slung across my chest which allows me to have my rifle slung while carrying a treestand on my back. I can't do that with a bolt gun.
-Modularity. If I collapse my stock and remove my suppressor, I'm left with a nice, compact gun to carry around. The adjustable stock might also be useful to adapt to increasing clothing layers or to fit a smaller shooter.
-Semi-automatic operation. You con't have to break your shooting position to reload.
(bonus: you can put a hand warmer in your grip core to keep it warm.)

Cons:
-Loading that first round can be loud until you get a system figured out that works for you.
-You reloaders will lose a couple of pieces of brass a year.

infoman jr.

jetwrnch":zzy01kc8 said:
What ammo did you provide with the gun?

TAFKAP

pastorofgrace":nj5aky27 said:
Looking forward to hearing all your opinions.

Thank you.

Pros:
1) Dimensionally, my AR is lighter weight, shorter, and easier to carry than the Marlin .30-30 it replaced. It also can be brought to fire quicker.
2) Semi-automatic. Maintain cheek weld and hand position for follow-up shots
3) Modular, customizable, and easy to break down
4) More ergonomic
5) Low recoil
6) Cost. A base model AR-15 can be less than $700 with a decent scope

Cons:
1) Cost. A customized AR-15 can run well north of $1,200. A base model AR-10 is likely not going to cost less than $1,200. Custom 10's might run north of $2,500
2) Optics. I've found it slightly more involved to outfit my rifle with a suitable scope, with correct eye relief, that won't hinder the charging handle
3) Caliber options. People will chastize someone shooting deer with a 5.56. Beyond that, you're stepping pretty steeply into the "custom rifle" realm for larger calibers (.300BLK, 6.5 variants, etc.)
3a) .300BLK isn't very commercially available anymore. And as the novelty takes hold, then wears off, I expect other variant rounds to be less accessible as well.
4) It feels like I'm waking up the woods when I chamber a round. There's just no quiet way of doing it.
5) Basic MILSPEC triggers are horrible

All that to say this: I wish I had upgraded my deer rifle years ago. Absolutely love mine.

THEdonkey0515

I don't have any pros or cons against them.

But give me the ole bolt action ruger 30-06 deer rifle or the 30-30 lever gun to hunt deer with...

I usually only need 1 shot anyways ;) don't need no semi-auto customized AR.....I think the traditional bolt/lever action deer rifles look better anyways.

If I was a hardcore coyote or hog hunter I may consider one, but not for deer.

infoman jr.

TAFKAP":24s47k3o said:
4) It feels like I'm waking up the woods when I chamber a round. There's just no quiet way of doing it.
There are two ways I've found.

1. Push the takedown pin and pivot the upper open. Retract the charging handle. Drop the round into the chamber. Close the charging handle. Carefully guide the bolt closed by pushing on the tail of it with both thumbs. Close and secure the upper to the lower. Insert mag.

2. Retract the charging handle and drop the round into the chamber. Carefully guide the bolt forward with the charging handle until it stops, and push the charging handle until it latches. Use the forward assist and a thumb on the recess in the bolt carrier to push the bolt into battery.

As for .300 blk being hard to find: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/300aac-blackout#

And for non-5.56 uppers being custom, alternate caliber uppers are readily available from a lot of online retailers.

Stalkhunter

I will let you know, trying to get first blood on my Adams AR10 that I got brand new for 799.00 this past September.
Also
The wife will be trying the 7.62x39.

I have all the conferences in the world in them. 3 years ago I dropped a good size deer with 223 with no issues. Nothing left of the insides of deer it was a mess. I used the Hog round in my 223.

I hit it behind the shoulder but that bullet just bounces inside.

The bigger Caliber bullets for me anyway are the way to go.

I just hope they don't come out with one in the 30/06.

Please don't tell me if they have one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtaylor

I am on my 6th year hunting with an AR and with the .223 round. Haven't lost a deer yet. My 8 year old daughter just shot her first deer with it at 136 yards. The only cons I can think of is replacing the factory trigger with something better but I love deer hunting with the AR and so do my kids.

biglefty20

rtaylor":ic80lwgm said:
I am on my 6th year hunting with an AR and with the .223 round. Haven't lost a deer yet. My 8 year old daughter just shot her first deer with it at 136 yards. The only cons I can think of is replacing the factory trigger with something better but I love deer hunting with the AR and so do my kids.

What bullets do you use? I am setting mine up just becauseand curious to ammo used by others

Stalkhunter":20p6jdqj said:
I will let you know, trying to get first blood on my Adams AR10 that I got brand new for 799.00 this past September.
Also

I have all the conferences in the world in them. 3 years ago I dropped a good size deer with 223 with no issues. Nothing left of the insides of deer it was a mess. I used the Hog round in my 223.

https://www.eurooptic.com/noreen-firear ... 30-06.aspx

Stalkhunter

Pros & Cons of using an AR-15 for Deer Hunting

I use Federal Fusion 62 grain spitzer boat tail. 223 ammo.

Stalkhunter

waterfowlwidowmaker":2e24u46k said:
Stalkhunter":2e24u46k said:
Also

That's just wrong lmbo. My wife will kill me if I bought it lol

Stalkhunter":2x08g41r said:
waterfowlwidowmaker":2x08g41r said:
Stalkhunter":2x08g41r said:
Also

That's just wrong lmbo. My wife will kill me if I bought it lol

It's so wrong...it's right.

brass magnet

Pros
All parts are user replaceable ,as it gets colder i get thicker, stock always fits, buy it black camo it to suit you, pop two pins, change calibers, just for starters many more.
Cons
One is not enough, ten is not too many, you'll need a bigger safe.

jetwrnch

infoman jr.":2wkhaqhb said:
jetwrnch":2wkhaqhb said:
What ammo did you provide with the gun?
I didn't provide the rifle or the ammo. Don't know what they showed up with other than hollow point. I do know it was .223.

Latest posts