Prime Rib with Lobster Tails

TiminTN

My first attempt at Prime Rib, and it wont be the last. I had the recipes down to 2, and got lucky. This is so simple it will have to be done many more times in the near future. I went big with a 12 pound 5 rib cut of meat that was sale priced for the holidays at Fresh Market. That still was the most expensive cut of meat I have ever purchased.

20161224_180503_zpsty0lff0d.jpg

TiminTN

Sure will, I made a rub with 50/50 Kosher salt and a steak seasoning I used to get made by Catalpa Plantations, the owner Ed Phillips has passed away, and his son is not following his dads footsteps. There are many great steak seasonings there, just pick your favorite. I preheated the oven to 500 degrees the recipe said to cook for 5 minutes per pound at this temp which was 60 minutes, then do not open the oven door at all for 2 hours following. I had an internal thermometer in place which allowed me to look with out opening the door. I was nervous at the 1 hour mark as the temp inside was just 80 degrees. But at the 2 hour mark I was soooo happy it read 131 degrees. My goal temp was 130. Rested it for an hour and you see the rest.

The meat was uncovered while in the oven and took on a beautiful crust. My family was impressed!!

280longshot

That looks like some fine eating Tim. I use to buy my seasonings from Ed Phillips also but haven't in the last few yrs. He had some great jelly also along with some excellent Boston butt seasoning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TAFKAP

Good to see your success! Proper meat cooking is usually just simple science.

Meat + Salt + Just a little heat = Perfection

Nice job

WTM

TiminTN":czv3d7e5 said:
Sure will, I made a rub with 50/50 Kosher salt and a steak seasoning I used to get made by Catalpa Plantations, the owner Ed Phillips has passed away, and his son is not following his dads footsteps. There are many great steak seasonings there, just pick your favorite. I preheated the oven to 500 degrees the recipe said to cook for 5 minutes per pound at this temp which was 60 minutes, then do not open the oven door at all for 2 hours following. I had an internal thermometer in place which allowed me to look with out opening the door. I was nervous at the 1 hour mark as the temp inside was just 80 degrees. But at the 2 hour mark I was soooo happy it read 131 degrees. My goal temp was 130. Rested it for an hour and you see the rest.

The meat was uncovered while in the oven and took on a beautiful crust. My family was impressed!!

so did you cook it at 500 deg for the whole time or just for an hour and then turn the heat off/down?

TiminTN

WTM":1jbwfw4e said:
TiminTN":1jbwfw4e said:

so did you cook it at 500 deg for the whole time or just for an hour and then turn the heat off/down?

Cooked for 1 hour on 500, then left in oven for 2 hours.

I forgot the recipe said to have your entree at room temperature, I left mine on the counter for 4 hours before cooking. Said you would get a very uniform doneness if allowed to reach room temperature, I believe it.

WTM

TiminTN":6eva09c2 said:
WTM":6eva09c2 said:
TiminTN":6eva09c2 said:

Cooked for 1 hour on 500, then left in oven for 2 hours.

I forgot the recipe said to have your entree at room temperature, I left mine on the counter for 4 hours before cooking. Said you would get a very uniform doneness if allowed to reach room temperature, I believe it.

k great i may have to try that next Christmas. usually i low temp smoke for a couple of hours and then do the 500 deg oven trick for 20 min to seal the outside then 300 deg until desired temp. i have a few crybaby davey family members that like their ribeye ruined so i have to cook mine till the center is about 155 deg. the outside pieces are well done and the inside pieces are medium and medium rare.

next time you cook sliced steaks or pork loin on the grill, let those get to room temp as well(30-45 min). they cook a lot more evenly too.

Latest posts