Prime Rib Roast Advice

Oldschool

Any advice on smoking one? I seen on another thread they were on sale, so I am try my luck with one. Hate to mess it up.

backyardtndeer

I have cooked a lot on the smoker over the years, but never done a prime rib roast.

I was looking on google the other day and while some suggest hickory, others strongly advise against it saying that the bold smoke would be too heavy. Some suggested fruit woods. I am sure low and slow cook would be best. Read that braising first in an oven at 400 for about 10 minutes to get a crust is also a good idea. A rub with freshly cracked pepper and salt was also suggested.

I will be watching this thread to see what others suggest.

TboneD

I prefer hickory, pecan or oak, especially if cooking in a pellet grill or any other smoker you can maintain clean smoke. Rib roasts are fairly easy as long as you closely monitor the internal temp to pull off the grill when it hits about 125*. There's a lot of good help on YouTube like HowToBBQRight, allthingsbbq, or Mad Scientist BBQ.

MoonBuzzard

I went and purchased an 8# piece from Publix yesterday. The plan as I'm typing this is to do either a rub and let it cure overnight before a quick smoke with hickory tomorrow or a marinade overnight with apple and/or pecan tomorrow for a longer smoke. Can't decide because each has its drawbacks when smoking something so thick.

TAFKAP

Any advice on smoking one? I seen on another thread they were on sale, so I am try my luck with one. Hate to mess it up.

I just did one last week. It wasn't smoked, but I've smoked one before using the same method. It was about a 7.5lb 4-bone

1) Season the crap out of it at least a day before. I took the sale weight, multiplied it by .0175, and weighed out that much kosher salt. Cranked a bunch of black pepper on it until my forearms didn't work anymore, then mixed in a bit of garlic powder. My 4 bone took about 60g of salt

2) Easiest way to season it was to lay out a long run of Saran plastic wrap and put a layer of rub on there. Smoosh the roast down on it, then coat the remainder of it in the rest of the rub. Since it's a calculated percentage, use it all up. Then tightly wrap the roast and refrigerate at least a day. Flip the roast around a couple times to ensure the liquid that draws out can contact all the surfaces.

3) Take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temp a bit, then place a leave-in thermometer down to the center, in between two of the bones.

4) Stoke a good smoky fire so that your offset area is about 250°. Cook/smoke the roast in 200-250° for appx. 4 hours. Maintain temp & smoke level throughout. Temperature goal is 119° for medium rare up to 126° for medium. Pull the roast out when it hits your target temperature and tent in foil. If you get tired of babysitting your grill, it's okay to transfer to a 250° oven.

Once it's out, you can let it rest for a couple hours until ready to serve. Final step is to blast the crap out of it in a REALLY HOT environment. If your oven can do 550°, do it. If you can stoke your grill to 650°, do it. At this point, your roast is cooked and you're trying to get a nice browned exterior. Go by eyesight. Mine took about 10 mins in a 550° oven.

Once it's reached your desired brownness on the exterior, pull it. No need to rest. The bones should easily pull off. You can slice the now bone-off roast into 1/2" to 3/4" slices.

MoonBuzzard

20221219_140553.jpg

Oldschool

I just did one last week. It wasn't smoked, but I've smoked one before using the same method. It was about a 7.5lb 4-bone

1) Season the crap out of it at least a day before. I took the sale weight, multiplied it by .0175, and weighed out that much kosher salt. Cranked a bunch of black pepper on it until my forearms didn't work anymore, then mixed in a bit of garlic powder. My 4 bone took about 60g of salt

2) Easiest way to season it was to lay out a long run of Saran plastic wrap and put a layer of rub on there. Smoosh the roast down on it, then coat the remainder of it in the rest of the rub. Since it's a calculated percentage, use it all up. Then tightly wrap the roast and refrigerate at least a day. Flip the roast around a couple times to ensure the liquid that draws out can contact all the surfaces.

3) Take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temp a bit, then place a leave-in thermometer down to the center, in between two of the bones.

4) Stoke a good smoky fire so that your offset area is about 250°. Cook/smoke the roast in 200-250° for appx. 4 hours. Maintain temp & smoke level throughout. Temperature goal is 119° for medium rare up to 126° for medium. Pull the roast out when it hits your target temperature and tent in foil. If you get tired of babysitting your grill, it's okay to transfer to a 250° oven.

Once it's out, you can let it rest for a couple hours until ready to serve. Final step is to blast the crap out of it in a REALLY HOT environment. If your oven can do 550°, do it. If you can stoke your grill to 650°, do it. At this point, your roast is cooked and you're trying to get a nice browned exterior. Go by eyesight. Mine took about 10 mins in a 550° oven.

Once it's reached your desired brownness on the exterior, pull it. No need to rest. The bones should easily pull off. You can slice the now bone-off roast into 1/2" to 3/4" slices.
Will give that a try thanks

jb3

Smoked a 3-bone one time on my small weber grill. turned out fantastic. It did cook a bit too long, but I will say that seasoned outside part was awesome.

lafn96

Everyone's tastes are different; if you like bolder/stronger smoke go with mesquite or hickory; if you like milder smoke go with a fruit wood. You didn't mention what type of smoker you're using, which can also make a big difference. Traditional smokers (stick burner) will typically have stronger smoke than a pellet smoker.

Latest posts