Prime rib ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I had planned on doing Philly steak sandwiches tonight for the game but the weather isn't going to allow me to season or use my griddle.
Thinking about doing a 3 or 4 bone in prime rib instead.
It will be done in the oven.
Is there a good / easy coating for it?
The last one I did I just used my normal steak seasoning and honestly it wasn't very good.

Help ?

Pilchard

salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, thyme...

Light coating of olive oil before you season. If you have a chance, salt it heavy now(without the oil) and put in the fridge uncovered. Take it out an hour or two before you cook it to let it come up to room temp.

Use a meat thermometer to get the right temp. I pull at 115 degrees but my family likes it more rare.

Pilchard

The fat cap will create the crust you are looking for. cook it at 225 until it reaches temp, pull it out and let it rest for 20 minutes and then put it back in your oven as hot as it will go to give you the crust.

You could also create a mixture of the seasonings I mentioned with softened(not melted butter). coat the whole roast and then cook on a higher temperature. 350ish until it reaches temp. Will have a good crust but will be more done one outside when the center hits temp.

TAFKAP

I had planned on doing Philly steak sandwiches tonight for the game but the weather isn't going to allow me to season or use my griddle.
Thinking about doing a 3 or 4 bone in prime rib instead.
It will be done in the oven.
Is there a good / easy coating for it?
The last one I did I just used my normal steak seasoning and honestly it wasn't very good.

Help ?

The last one I did was seasoned two days before I actually cooked it. If you have a kitchen scale, take your meat's sale weight in POUNDS, multiply that number by 7.95 and weigh out that in Grams. (EXAMPLE: a 7.5 lb bone-in roast will need 60 grams of salt)

You don't have enough time today to well-season it prior to cooking. I would suggest slicing it out into some brontosaurus steaks, and seasoning the crap out of them individually

TAFKAP

For times when you have a few days ahead, here's the tried & true:

1) season as described above. 7.95 grams of salt per pound of (bone-in) meat. As much fresh ground pepper as you can muster. Lots of garlic powder. Mix it all up in a bowl, lay out some plastic wrap, and use every bit of the rub on the meat. Apply it all over every surface, and wrap it up tightly in the plastic wrap, and refrigerate. It may be helpful to turn the meat a couple times to get the liquid in contact over the whole surface

2) The morning you're going to cook the meat, take it out of the fridge and set it on a rack to rest for about 4 hours. If you don't have one, go buy a remote meat thermometer with a corded probe that'll plug in outside the oven. Stick it vertically into the center of the roast (between two bones) and oriented in the same direction as the bones.

3) Set your oven for 225°. When it's ready, put your roast in and set the alarm for your desired temperature. 119° will give you a good medium rare, 126° medium, and anything above 126° will be too overdone for my tastes. (This can also be done in a smoker, as well)

4) The meat will roast in the 225° oven for at least 2 hours as it comes to temp....probably 3-4 hours, depending on roast size. As soon as it hits that alarm, pull it out and cover the meat in aluminum foil. You don't have to wrap it, but just drape the roast and loosely press to close. Rest it on the counter for at least 30 minutes, but it will be fine for a few hours. This rest time is critical, but it's the only resting you'll need.

5) Set your oven for as hot as it can go. 550° in ROAST mode is ideal. When the oven beeps, give it a few minutes to stay hot, remove the meat thermometer, and throw your uncovered roast in. You're going on visuals at this point. The meat is cooked, you're getting that browned crust here. 10 minutes should get you all the browning you need. Pull the roast out and set on a cutting board. The bones should pull right off very easily.

6) Slice & Serve immediately. No resting is required at this point.

Last edited:

TAFKAP

TAFKAP Jr. was charged with monitoring the alarm on this one. Tactical error on my part. I wanted 119°, but he "couldn't figure out what that beeping noise was". It was 125°F on this roast.
318439623_10225877921287042_6487484589734064521_n.jpg

WTM

salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, thyme...

Light coating of olive oil before you season. If you have a chance, salt it heavy now(without the oil) and put in the fridge uncovered. Take it out an hour or two before you cook it to let it come up to room temp.

Use a meat thermometer to get the right temp. I pull at 115 degrees but my family likes it more rare.
my go to. i pull it at 120-125 that way some of the outside is medium to medium well for those who like ruined beef and the middle is medium rare after resting.

WTM

i tried that 500 degree method one time. it splattered the whole inside of the oven full of fat. couldnt even see theu the glass. my ocd wife raked my arse everyday until she got it all cleaned out. then gave me crap everytime i used the oven. i can still hear "BETTER NOT SPLATTER ANYTHING IN THAT OVEN."

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
For times when you have a few days ahead, here's the tried & true:

1) season as described above. 7.95 grams of salt per pound of (bone-in) meat. As much fresh ground pepper as you can muster. Lots of garlic powder. Mix it all up in a bowl, lay out some plastic wrap, and use every bit of the rub on the meat. Apply it all over every surface, and wrap it up tightly in the plastic wrap, and refrigerate. It may be helpful to turn the meat a couple times to get the liquid in contact over the whole surface

2) The morning you're going to cook the meat, take it out of the fridge and set it on a rack to rest for about 4 hours. If you don't have one, go buy a remote meat thermometer with a corded probe that'll plug in outside the oven. Stick it vertically into the center of the roast (between two bones) and oriented in the same direction as the bones.

3) Set your oven for 225°. When it's ready, put your roast in and set the alarm for your desired temperature. 119° will give you a good medium rare, 126° medium, and anything above 126° will be too overdone for my tastes. (This can also be done in a smoker, as well)

4) The meat will roast in the 225° oven for at least 2 hours as it comes to temp....probably 3-4 depending on roast size. As soon as it hits that alarm, pull it out and cover the meat in aluminum foil. Rest it on the counter for at least 30 minutes, but it will be fine for a few hours. This rest time is critical, but it's the only resting you'll need.

5) Set your oven for as hot as it can go. 550° in ROAST mode is ideal. When the oven beeps, give it a few minutes to stay hot, remove the meat thermometer, and throw your uncovered roast in. You're going on visuals at this point. The meat is cooked, you're getting that browned crust here. 10 minutes should get you all the browning you need. Pull the roast out and set on a cutting board. The bones should pull right off very easily.

6) Slice & Serve immediately. No resting is required at this point.
Thanks

mike243

Smoked a 6lb and roasted a 10.85, 500 degree for 30 minutes then drop to 350 till you get the temp you want in the middle, about 3 hours, sucklebusters 1836 rub and fed the fire with shag bark from a hickory, used the kettle with the baskets on the sides, would have smoked both but had to please everyone lol

Attachments

• 4D7E2E39-5184-4F0B-9B64-D42534AFD8FF.jpeg
    4D7E2E39-5184-4F0B-9B64-D42534AFD8FF.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 8086807C-9C44-4CCD-B6A3-6BD1BAA95275.jpeg
    8086807C-9C44-4CCD-B6A3-6BD1BAA95275.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 3981C8DA-C7BA-446C-B952-F8A805534E68.jpeg
    3981C8DA-C7BA-446C-B952-F8A805534E68.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts