3lb Prime Aged Porterhouse

TAFKAP

The TAFKAP boys were sent to Nashville yesterday to spend some time with Mrs. TAFKAP's sister. So what did we do to save money instead of eating out? We went to the new Buster's Butcher in Memphis for some fancy meats. That store had it all.....aged Prime beef of all types, various pork cuts, in-house sausage & charcuterie, farmed elk, and more. We opted for a Porterhouse, and I asked for a 3" chunk. It didn't disappoint. I seasoned it with 1.7% by weight salt and a ton of pepper. It spent about 4 hours like that before I lit the fire. I used some cherry and hickory logs for the flame, and to make sure not to ruin the steak, grabbed the ThermoPro Spike. I set it for 125°, and it took about 45 minutes to get there. Honestly, I should've stopped about 120°.......pulled it to rest while the second round of flames built up. When the meat stopped climbing about 140°, I dumped the coals and blasted it for about 3 minutes per side. We ate nearly the whole thing.....saved the bone for soup soon.

387754746_10100306860511435_845411313359169410_n.jpg

387867008_10100306860566325_5270135516434880481_n.jpg

TAFKAP

Oh, and the butcher shop also does in-house duck confit legs. For $10, you get a vacuum sealed leg quarter, preserved and cooked in duck fat. If you've never had confit, it'll make your eyes roll back in your head. Warm up a skillet, spoon in some of the duck fat, and sizzle the meat until the skin gets crispy. It's already cooked when you pull it from the fat, so all you're doing is warming it up and crisping the skin. Tossed some potatoes around in the duck fat, roasted them until soft, and chopped up the duck to sprinkle on. Awesome dinner

BigCityBubba

Oh, and the butcher shop also does in-house duck confit legs. For $10, you get a vacuum sealed leg quarter, preserved and cooked in duck fat. If you've never had confit, it'll make your eyes roll back in your head. Warm up a skillet, spoon in some of the duck fat, and sizzle the meat until the skin gets crispy. It's already cooked when you pull it from the fat, so all you're doing is warming it up and crisping the skin. Tossed some potatoes around in the duck fat, roasted them until soft, and chopped up the duck to sprinkle on. Awesome dinner
Makes me want to go out and buy a big ole tub of duck fat.

Latest posts