Prime rib help

Tenntrapper

I've never cooked prime rib. I picked up one to have for New year's. How do I cook it..oven, grill, smoker? Do you put any kind of rub on it? This is another first for me. Please help. Thanks

Long walker

I've always done mine in the oven although the smoker can work too. Assuming it's bone in I just rub with some canola oil and then
liberally salt and pepper.

Pre-heat your oven to 500 or as high as it will go and put it in for 15 minutes. Then leave it in and just drop the temp down to 325 for 16-18 minutes per pound. If you have a kitchen thermometer check and pull it at 110 degrees internal temp in the center. Then cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes and it should hit right at 120 which is a nice medium rare.

I just did one for Christmas and it was perfect. Enjoy!!

mike243

like it smoked, sucklebusters 1836 rub from rural king and smoke till 125-135 depending on how you like it, slice and throw on the grill for a quick char or for somebody who wants it more done

mike243

Here was Christmas eve

Attachments

• E9ADA988-1E58-4FAD-B7FA-FF2D16F95AA9.jpeg
    E9ADA988-1E58-4FAD-B7FA-FF2D16F95AA9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 93

JCDEERMAN

We do prime rib every opening weekend of rifle. We rub it down (pick your favorite) and set temp at 250 and cook 15 min / lb until internal temp hits 120 (usually around 1.5 hours depending on size). Then we crank the heat up to 500 put it on broil for 10-15 minutes to crisp up the outside.

The key is having an accurate thermometer and making sure you aren't on the bone when checking the temp. Put it right in the middle. Might have an extra thermometer to double-check accuracy

Tenntrapper

I've got on
We do prime rib every opening weekend of rifle. We rub it down (pick your favorite) and set temp at 250 and cook 15 min / lb until internal temp hits 120 (usually around 1.5 hours depending on size). Then we crank the heat up to 500 put it on broil for 10-15 minutes to crisp up the outside.

The key is having an accurate thermometer and making sure you aren't on the bone when checking the temp. Put it right in the middle. Might have an extra thermometer to double-check accuracy
I've got one of those thermometers that has the unit that stays outside the oven. You can program for time or temp, to sound alarm. Would something like that work?

TAFKAP

Whatever you do, start your seasoning now. Lots of good advice on here on getting it cooked to a perfect medium rare. If I were doing it, I would start it on a rolling smoke and finish in the oven. But the key is to make sure you get it seasoned today.

Pilchard

My family likes rare beef although with a piece of beef with high fat, I think a slightly higher temp will render more fat and make the flavor better. For reference, this is what 128.5 degrees looks like as a finished internal temp. This was also done Sous Vide. A roast done in the oven will not look like this.
AA8EC5D0-1F60-4431-96A0-060779EE7604.jpeg

JCDEERMAN

I've got on

I've got one of those thermometers that has the unit that stays outside the oven. You can program for time or temp, to sound alarm. Would something like that work?
As TAFKAP said, yes that will work. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, as long as it's accurate. Forgot to mention that we do ours in the oven. I have been wanting to smoke one - I know that would be phenomenal.

JCDEERMAN

The last few I have done have been Sous Vide but before that I have smoked or roasted them with success. A good thermometer is key.

BTW, someone said above that 120 is medium rare, that is not true. You want it to finish higher than that. A quick google search will reveal the temps based on how you prefer your beef.
Good point that I eluded to. Depending on the temp you check it at and how you like your meat, we have pulled out and cut immediately if temp is slightly higher than desired, but we've also pulled out slightly under temp and let it rest a while. Just depends on your preference

Chaneylake

My family likes rare beef although with a piece of beef with high fat, I think a slightly higher temp will render more fat and make the flavor better. For reference, this is what 128.5 degrees looks like as a finished internal temp. This was also done Sous Vide. A roast done in the oven will not look like this.View attachment 64579
I beg to differ. Cook in oven at 200 degrees. remove at internal temperature of 122 degrees.
remove and let rest. meat temperature should rise to 128-129. when meat falls back into the 120-122 degree range place in 500 degree oven for 15 minutes. It will look exactly like yours pictured here.
I have done the above to many times to count.

Bucket

Lots of good info above. We prefer to dry brine the day before with either salt or all of the rub. Just apply and place on a rack and put back in the fridge overnight. I also prefer to cut the bones off prior to applying rub. That way you don't lose seasoned meat after the cook when you remove the bones prior to slicing.

Chaneylake

Post up a pic? Sous Vide is the only method I have seen that allows for the same temp edge to edge throughout the entire cut. In an oven, the end pieces are done more than the center cuts and the eye is more rare than the cap unless you have a magical oven. The reverse sear you describe will get close bot not like the pic I posted.
I don't have a pic. Will post one in a few weeks. The key to my method is 200 degree oven.

How long per # do you Sous Vide?

WTM

Post up a pic? Sous Vide is the only method I have seen that allows for the same temp edge to edge throughout the entire cut. In an oven, the end pieces are done more than the center cuts and the eye is more rare than the cap unless you have a magical oven. The reverse sear you describe will get close bot not like the pic I posted.
the reason i smoke 4 hours and finish in the oven. i take temp readings in the middle. a few in my family likes ruined beef at medium and well done. lol, they get the end slices.

GMB54

This year i changed things up a bit because i was getting more "well cooked" around the outside than i wanted.

First bring the standing rib upto at least 60F. Dont chuck it in the oven while still fridge cold. Closer to room temp the better. THIS SEEMS TO BE THE HUGE PART IF YOU LIKE LOTS OF RED MEAT.

Blast that sucker on the highest heat your oven will go until its as browned as you like then remove it from the oven. 450F for around 15-20min worked fine in mine.

Let the oven cool down a bit then set it to 200-250F. Put the roast back in until the internal temp is no more than 120F.

Pull it out and let it rest under foil and a towel. Temp will rise another 10ish degrees. When it starts falling again you can cut and serve. It will be rare without being raw.......My 8lber turned out perfect this year. Way more red meat than the last 5 ive cooked.

This was an end cut.
SX1y1Zu.jpg

upWIMIP.jpg

Last edited:

Crosshairy

I did a reverse sear on mine this year, with a little over 5 hours of time in the sous vide afterward. I thought it turned out great, but I haven't cooked one before.

JCDEERMAN

This year i changed things up a bit because i was getting more "well cooked" around the outside than i wanted.

First bring the standing rib upto at least 60F. Dont chuck it in the oven while still fridge cold. Closer to room temp the better. THIS SEEMS TO BE THE HUGE PART IF YOU LIKE LOTS OF RED MEAT.

Blast that sucker on the highest heat your oven will go until its as browned as you like then remove it from the oven. 450F for around 15-20min worked fine in mine.

Let the oven cool down a bit then set it to 200-250F. Put the roast back in until the internal temp is no more than 120F.

Pull it out and let it rest under foil and a towel. Temp will rise another 10ish degrees. When it starts falling again you can cut and serve. It will be rare without being raw.......My 8lber turned out perfect this year. Way more red meat than the last 5 ive cooked.

This was an end cut.
SX1y1Zu.jpg

upWIMIP.jpg
You need a bigger plate!!!