Competion Rib Rub suggestions

BigAl

I do a little competition rib cooking and I prefer to make my own rub. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on something to add to this? I think it needs more flavor. Not really needing spice, as you can't make comp ribs too spicy. But it seems to be missing something. And please don't suggest cinammon. :D

Rib Rub
1 / 4 cup white or brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 ⁄ 8 cup sweet paprika (do not use regular paprika)
1/8 cup smoked paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or other spicy pepper
1 tablespoon sea salt and 1 tablespoon black pepper

TN Song Dog

Not mussing much from what i can see. Maybe up the brown sugar, salt, and cumin.

Here's a highly regarded recipe I found online that might give some inspiration.

MDM's FINGER LICKIN' RIB RUB
(Dry Ingredients–Only)

1/3 Cup granulated sugar
1/3 Cup brown sugar
3 tspn. Old Bay Seasoning (sh-h-h, secret ingredient of MDM)
6 Tbspns. Kosher Salt or Coarse Mediterranean Sea Salt
¼ tspn. of paprika
1 tspn. dry mustard powder

2 Tbspns. ground black pepper
1 Tbspn. garlic salt
1 Tbspn. dried onion
1Tbspn. dried basil

TboneD

I prefer brown sugar although turbinado sugar is more forgiving to higher heat or temp spikes (if you're cooking high heat or using a traditional smoker.) I also usually avoid powders and use granulated garlic and onion instead.

Ever tried delaying the rub until later into the cook with nothing but kosher salt over a bit of oil to begin with? While it's the thinking behind Memphis style dry ribs I've even heard of bbq competitors doing it to preserve the flavors of their rub.

TAFKAP

I do a little competition rib cooking and I prefer to make my own rub. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on something to add to this? I think it needs more flavor. Not really needing spice, as you can't make comp ribs too spicy. But it seems to be missing something. And please don't suggest cinammon. :D

Rib Rub
1 / 4 cup white or brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 ⁄ 8 cup sweet paprika (do not use regular paprika)
1/8 cup smoked paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or other spicy pepper
1 tablespoon sea salt and 1 tablespoon black pepper

Honestly, I would get rid of the cumin. I don't like how it works in pork. I think a touch of celery seed would add a bit of a vegetal *oomph* to it. Bittersweet chocolate powder might give it some depth. Mushroom powder might work as well, but I would go lightly with it. A little bit can really help, but too much will make it funky.

TAFKAP

I've heard of cardamon. Is that spicy?

No, it's the seed pod of cilantro plants. Hard to describe. Good flavor, but probably easy to get too much. Go easy. If I can describe it, there's a little bit of a licorice/anise flavor to it....

Latest posts