Poults Sighted Today!!

Wrangler95

I went to a farm this morning that I heard one gobbler sound off monday morning,didnt hear him this morning but they mowed hay Tuesday morning,hope they didnt get any hens or poults!

JJBraves

So far saw my first hen this year with about 8-10 chicks hugging up to her for safety. Tickled to death seeing this after all of the trapping I did over the winter and early spring. I used to never see hens with poults on this property up until last year.

Attachments

• IMG_4790.MOV
    12.6 MB

th88

Saw 6-7 flying sized poults on Monday. Saw new hatchlings yesterday. Had more new hatchling show up on a camera today. All in far north MS.
Pretty sure this same hen raised a brood at this same exact spot last year on our place. She is doing the EXACT same thing.

We have another hen bout 0.5 mile away that is good at raising poults. This other hen is easy to recognize because she is not afraid of my father when he is around there working. Hoping to see poults from her soon too.

By the way, reproduction rates on our place skyrocketed after we started nailing coons.

1685016682671.png
1685016697525.png

th88

So far saw my first hen this year with about 8-10 chicks hugging up to her for safety. Tickled to death seeing this after all of the trapping I did over the winter and early spring. I used to never see hens with poults on this property up until last year.
Man that is a cool video!!! Makes me wonder if she is posturing at the crow.

Henry

Lot of hay being cut this week around here, ive heard of several hens being chopped up refusing to flee the nest, i would say we are a few days shy of major hatch days here hopefully hay is thin enough most will be seen before being mowed down
Thank you again for the reminder.

A farmer friend dropped two turkey eggs off at the end of May. He ran over the mom and all but these two eggs. They were away from their mom for 10 hours, including in a hot truck cab so we didn't know for sure if they would hatch. We had a broody chicken hen who left the nest too often at the beginning of sitting on chicken eggs so those didn't hatch so we put these two eggs under her and, TODAY, my wife went out to put 3 baby chicks under her to release her from setting for over two times the normal broody time and there they were...

two turkey chicks!!!

utvolsfan77

Had an interesting development here in southern Greene County. About two weeks ago my brother-in-law was mowing one of the fields at my homeplace when he hit a hen. A circular mower makes a mess of a turkey or a fawn pretty fast.

Anyway, one of my nephews was thinking fast. He walked back to the area where the hen was at when she was hit, and he finally found the nest. It had 12 eggs in it that miraculously were not damaged.

Matthew picked them up carefully and took them down to the house, then put them in an incubator. Last Thursday morning nine of the eggs hatched out, then the remaining three eggs hatched late Thursday night. Matthew has now become "mom" to a dozen poults.

He placed them in a two-story chicken house that wasn't being used and is caring for them much the way he would a group of chickens. Will try to get some pics in the next few days.

Last edited:

Henry

Had an interesting development here in southern Greene County. About two weeks ago my brother-in-law was mowing one of the fields on my homeplace when he hit a hen. A circular mower makes a mess of a turkey or a fawn pretty fast.

Anyway, one of my nephews was thinking fast. My nephew walked back to the area where the hen was in when she was hit, and he finally found the nest. It had 12 eggs in it that miraculously were not damaged.

Matthew picked them up carefully and took them down to the house, then put them on an incubator. Last Thursday morning nine of the eggs hatched out, then the remaining three eggs hatched late Thursday night. Matthew has now become "mom" to a dozen poults.

He placed them in a two-story chicken house that wasn't be used, and is caring for them much the way he would a group of chickens. Will try to get some pics in the next few days.
That's very cool.

stiknstring

Checked my camera a couple weeks ago and had a video of a hen with (looks like) 6 poults. This vid was from May 21. A lot earlier than I would have expected. I double checked that the date was set correctly on the camera.

Taken in the Cherokee Nat Forest near Vonore.

Attachments

• Henwithpoults1.MOV
    936.1 KB

Latest posts