portable knife sharpener

LCU

I can't find a good one that is easy to use.
I want the kind you just run it through,and does not require and skill.

FULLDRAWXX75

I too have several Accusharp's, they are very good. Wal Mart sells a knock off of it from Smith's, they are ok, but not as good as the accusharp. Smith's are only half the cost too.

They have small pocket size ones also.

I carry on in my hunting pack all the time.

FDXX75

LCU

HeyFULLDWAW,
Along those lines, I use Gerber knives,because they seen to sharpen easier than some others I have owned.

Is there a better knife brand?
I would invest in a good one,if there is a standout.

White_Tail_Wacker

LCU,
I am a hand honer, but my father in law got the Ozzi Furi Tech sharper and it is great to throw in the hunting bag, it's quick, easy and leaves an edge that will last and it's only 20 bucks. just google Furi tech sharper and you get a bunch of results.

Hogbear

These things work along the same lines of the others mentioned and they're really small so carrying is easy. There's a video at the bottom of the page: http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=8064

I get a better edge quickly using one of these diamond hone things like a stone. It stores inside the handle so it doesn't take up much room in a waist pack or tackle box but it's not pocket sized like the one above. Just about everybody that uses mine winds up buying one for themselves. http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Abrasives-D ... 946&sr=8-3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FULLDRAWXX75

I carry a Gerber in my hip pocket 7 days a week. My two best hunting knives are Kershaw's. I carry the sharpener only to get a quick replacement edge in the field, I have a Lansky hone system I use all the time for my great edge jobs.

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

No offense, in the hands of the average person, a steel in nothing more than a tent stake with a handle.......................

Most people don't know how to use one properly.

If you are looking for a good knife sharpening kit, go Lansky. If you want a quick field edge to keep gutting deer when more than one hits the ground in a day. Accusharp or equivelant device.

FDXX75

Hogbear

My Lansky set has been sitting in a box in the attic somewhere for about the last 15 years. I just got tired of messing with it and found that I could get at least as good an edge by hand on a Norton stone and a whole lot faster and plenty good with the diamond hone I linked to above.

FULLDRAWXX75

Hogbear said:
My Lansky set has been sitting in a box in the attic somewhere for about the last 15 years. I just got tired of messing with it and found that I could get at least as good an edge by hand on a Norton stone and a whole lot faster and plenty good with the diamond hone I linked to above.

No doubt, but the average person that does not understand or take the time to know how has ruined more good knives than all of us put together. It is foolproof...................

I leave mine assembled and placed in a shoe box in the hunting supply closet in the hallway. Easy to get to and just clamp knife and hone.

I too do some of mine by hand, but you can't knock the edge you get from a Lansky or similar product.

FDXX75

LCU

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
I carry a Gerber in my hip pocket 7 days a week. My two best hunting knives are Kershaw's. I carry the sharpener only to get a quick replacement edge in the field, I have a Lansky hone system I use all the time for my great edge jobs.

FDXX75

All I could find for a portable was a small Lansky at Academy Sports. Good enough for me.

I carry a Gerber all the time.
I don't know knives,but it appears to be a softer blade,and is easy to sharpen.
I use small blades to butcher my deer.

But I have this larger curved Mulay from Spain.
has a stag handle.
Found it at a sale,and it's a cool knife.
I think it might be a well made knife,but I don't know anything about them.
I found a pic of it on the web,but no price.