Pork Roast

KENBOB10

I have a nice pork roast I'm going to fix tonight. I need some recipes that would be good. I'm not in to wines and stuff like that just plan ole cookin.

BowGuy84

Butts are extra good smoked. But that takes about 6 hrs at least. Makes some great pulled pork and sandwhiches for the next day.

Dry rub it with a mix of blended captain crunch, peprika, brown sugar and onion salt

Soack some hickory wood chips and throw it in till 165 internal temp.

Pull, wrap in foil and let it sit an hr.

JimFromTN

If you are actually going to cook it tonight then you need to get it in the oven pretty soon because you will need 2 1/2 to 3 hours to cook it. You could cut it up into chunks and make something out of it like chile verde

CHILE VERDE

3-4 lb. boneless pork roast (Boston butt)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 med. onion, chopped
1 1/2 c. canned tomatoes (or 1 sm. can tomato sauce)
1/4 tsp. oregano
Salt and pepper
1 sm. can green chilies (or 1/2 jalapeno pepper)
2 tbsp. shortening

Cube pork roast in 1/2-inch cubes. Brown meat in shortening; do not drain. Add remaining ingredients and 1-2 cups water. Cook on low for 1 hour until meat is very tender.

Make thickening paste with 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup water. Push meat to one side and pour thickening into broth. Stir until desired consistency is reached. Stir meat into thickened broth and continue cooking a few minutes. Pour into floured tortilla and roll to make a chile verde burrito.

Here is a basic roast recipe that fits into the plain ole cooking catagory.

3 to 4 lb. Boston Butt or pork roast
4 to 5 each potatoes, carrots, and onions, peeled and halved
1 head green cabbage, cut in wedges
Flour, cajun spice or salt and pepper
Oil

Season meat with cajun spice or salt and pepper. I would rub a little cyanne into the meat as well. Rub with flour. Brown in hot oil. Place in Dutch oven on rack, and partially cover with water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, depending on size of roast. The last hour and a half, add all vegetables, and more water, if needed. Gravy may be made by thickening the stock, and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Somewhere along the line, Jim learned to cook. Strangely, pork is one of the hardest meats to preprare. You must have a good meat thermometer. Most people overcook it. It is also one of my favorites.

Jim are you a chef somewhere or were you? I see a school or restrant technique in your recipes.

JimFromTN

No, I was never a chef. I have been told by several people that if they ever win the lottery, they will hire me as their personal chef. I love to eat and I started trying to cook when I was a kid. I have simply learned from my failures.

The basic roast recipe I have seen done on the cooking shows several times. I have also looked it up online. That recipe I actually found on line and modified it a little to how I would do it without getting too fancy. I rarely go directly by a recipe. I will use a recipe as a starting point because I am looking for a basic flavor and then modify it from there. If I were playing around with that recipe, I might try throwing a little white wine in the pot with it and maybe some herbs de provence or some fresh rosemary just to see what happens. If it turns out horrible, I know not to do that again. Basically learning from failures again.

JimFromTN

Did not mean to throw you off. I have used that basic recipe on several occaisions with slight modifications here and there. I just did not feel like typing it all in so I went and found the basic recipe online and used it and made slight changes. The basic recipe which I got the idea off of several cooking shows is to sear the meat first and then add liquid and roast. I remember a Justin Wilson show where he took a pork roast and made slits in it and pushed cloves of garlic in before searing it.

The Chile Verde is the same way. There is a grocery near by that has pork butts on sale cheap and I will pick them up and throw them in the freezer. If I don't have enough time, I will cut the roast up into chunks and either make a chile verde or possibly something leaning along the lines of thai like a pork in peanut sauce over noodles or possibly a red curry over rice.

Slaughter-06

Black the whole thing with Pepper and add some salt bake it in the oven on 350 untill done about 3 hours,

All pork needs in my book is salt and pepper

bowriter

R.I.P.
Jim, don't get me wrong. I was not complaining or critizing it just sounded to me like a cooking school recipe and I wondered if you were a chef. If there are any professional chefs on here, they will know exactly what I mean.

Latest posts