Food Plots Plot madness has started

tellico4x4

Two of us worked Tues-Sat mowing, disking & spreading lime. Two more showed up & sprayed with UTVs Fri-Sat. Over 100 tractor hours & 25 utv hours.

About 60 acres worked including:
31 plots mowed
25 disked
30 sprayed
6,000# pelletized lime spread

Depending on rain, might plant 5-6 small bow plots in a 2-3 weeks. All of them are in bottom & retain good moisture. Remaining annual won't be planted until September.

Both tractors have roofs but not cabs. Only AC was however fast could go at 540 PTO 🤣. Spent over 60 hours myself on tractor, oh my aching back!

JCDEERMAN

We've got about 60 hours ourselves coming up. Spraying, spreading fertilizer and lightly disking in, then drilling fall plots. Just hoping weather and rain cooperates and allows it. There has been rain in all directions around us, yet only .23" on our place over the last 1.5 weeks 🤬

RS

I bush hogged all of mine a few weeks ago. I didn't plant any summer plots this year, so it was was just stubble from last years fall plots. I got everything disked yesterday (about 20 acres). It was so dry this summer, I didn't have any grass, etc come in, so I didn't have to spray this year.

I didn't have time to bush hog one plot a few weeks ago, so I had to burn it before disking. Nothing like burning a field when it's 95°

Attachments

• 1D8D1A7E-0840-4317-88EB-123710E68534.jpeg
    1D8D1A7E-0840-4317-88EB-123710E68534.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 77

tellico4x4

Awesome and impressive on being able to get some many involved/movated to help.

Side note, the plots, farming r my favorite part. I inspect mine every morning until season gets close
Have 14 great guys in my lease, not a slacker in the bunch. Most do way & above what's expected of them. The guy that helped me 4 days with tractor work is 72 & had triple bypasses in January!

Kelljp

Two of us worked Tues-Sat mowing, disking & spreading lime. Two more showed up & sprayed with UTVs Fri-Sat. Over 100 tractor hours & 25 utv hours.

About 60 acres worked including:
31 plots mowed
25 disked
30 sprayed
6,000# pelletized lime spread

Depending on rain, might plant 5-6 small bow plots in a 2-3 weeks. All of them are in bottom & retain good moisture. Remaining annual won't be planted until September.

Both tractors have roofs but not cabs. Only AC was however fast could go at 540 PTO 🤣. Spent over 60 hours myself on tractor, oh my aching back!
With the price of fertilizer and Diesel/ Gasoline thats going be an expensive endeavor.

tellico4x4

With the price of fertilizer and Diesel/ Gasoline thats going be an expensive endeavor.
It is but worth every penny! Haven't decided what I'm doing about fertilizer this year though. Had 140 tons ag lime spread in June & it was double normal cost. Think I'm about $1500 on herbicide so far and that's about $300.00 more than normal too. Every aspect is more expensive this year for sure.

tellico4x4

We've got about 60 hours ourselves coming up. Spraying, spreading fertilizer and lightly disking in, then drilling fall plots. Just hoping weather and rain cooperates and allows it. There has been rain in all directions around us, yet only .23" on our place over the last 1.5 weeks 🤬
My home & camp are 45 miles apart, if both were 10 miles north they would have had plenty of rain this year...

JCDEERMAN

My home & camp are 45 miles apart, if both were 10 miles north they would have had plenty of rain this year...
It's amazing. Talked to a buddy in Lobelville (probably 20 miles west of us) over the weekend and he was putting in plots. I said, "In this drought???? Are you a moron???". He said it has rained just about every day at his place. Not tons, but significant showers.

Got .54" over yesterday evening, that's a plus!

Latest posts