Food Plots New plot

Realtree56

So I have always been somewhat obsessed with food plots, but places I have hunted have limited me to small kill plot type spots in the woods. I have figured that system out to some extent and have had decent success…. This year I'm moving my "area" on our club to a powerline that I can finally do the real deal I believe. From hanging a couple cameras there this past season there is a no doubt shooter and a couple stud up and comers frequenting the area. Headed out there tomorrow to do some prep work clearing the site, and spreading lime. The plan in my mind is to go back in 3-4 weeks weather dependent and frost seed in clover… the power line was 100% weeds and briars this past season, just wondering if cutting the dormant weeds now, spreading lime, and frost seeding ina few weeks is what you all would do, or I have considered not frost seeding, spraying, discing, and sowing buckwheat would be better?

deerhunter10

I haven't frost seeded in that weedy of a spot before. But we have frost seeded plots that we wanted clover in that weren't and had pretty good success. But all of ours were basically experiments if it worked great if not we were going to seed it in the fall we really had nothing to lose but time and some money. Weeds will be the issue of course.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
On ground where substantial weed cover has been the default for years has a substantial seed bank you need to consider. If you can burn it, do so, roll it, crimp it or mow it just get it down. Get the seed down and I strongly suggest a blend of a perennial clover, an annual clover (balansa is a strong option to help out compete weeds) and wheat. 5 lb, 3 lb, 75 lb / acre. once the wheat makes a good showing hit it with some nitrogen to get up ahead of the coming weeds. go get your mower and your sprayer ready cause you are gonna need them. Only mow to stay ahead of the weeds when needed otherwise once the balansa is established hit it with 6-24-24 fertilizer so it does a great job of seeding itself back.
I avoid tilling whenever possible.

megalomaniac

I love herbicides:) so for me, I'd bushhog your plot area, let it regrow for a couple weeks, then nuke the piss out of it with roundup (plus 24d if no brush, plus Remedy if brush or sereca). Pull soil samples, amend with lime, then broadcast millet and sorgham to grow and suppress weeds over the summer.

If no weed competition, mow sorgham 1st of Aug, spray roundup to terminate regrowing sorgham, and plant fall blend end of Aug before a rain. If weed competition in the sorgham (didn't get a good stand), mow late July, nuke mid Aug with Roundup plus 24d (or Remedy if there is any brushy regrowth), and plant 1st week of Sept.

Just have to remember that 24d and remedy have a 2 to 3 week soil residual, so can't plant same day you spray like with Roundup (which has zero soil residual).

I prefer to fertilize only AFTER I know I got the seed established. Stuff is too expensive to waste on a poor stand.

JCDEERMAN

To curb weeds, you really want to start with your fall plantings. For spring plantings for establishment, I think a combo of buckwheat and sorghum would be good.

Latest posts