Food Plots Plant or Wait

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
A lot of seed is wasted on Labor Day weekend. You will be far better served most years by waiting until after Mid September.That being said, brassicas really need to be planted earlier IMO. Like August or even late July in the higher elevations.
I planted my brassicas earlier than usual. It's been late Aug to labor day weekend. This year they went in the ground Aug 5th and they are 8-12" tall now. I've had great rains in Aug and it's really helped. with a recommended 45-60 day growth, I hit it just right with that plant date. The forecast isn't looking good for most of Sept, so I'm glad I jumped the gun this year.

1693599184312.png

megalomaniac

I planted my brassicas earlier than usual. It's been late Aug to labor day weekend. This year they went in the ground Aug 5th and they are 8-12" tall now. I've had great rains in Aug and it's really helped. with a recommended 45-60 day growth, I hit it just right with that plant date. The forecast isn't looking good for most of Sept, so I'm glad I jumped the gun this year.

View attachment 193494
You timed it just right for a brassicas only plot!

BSK

Some chance of rain in the next 48 hours, but then nothing after that in the 15-day forecast. So I'm waiting.

TNTreeman

We got a gully washer today that was forecasted . My fields are ready but I held off planting because of the long term dry forecast . Almanac says Friday and Saturday after this one are good planting days, I'm most likely rolling the dice and planting then .

megalomaniac

planted 5.5 acres yesterday morning in anticipation for 3d forecast. Showers missed us, but another good chance today.

Holding off on the other 12 acres for now until better long term rain forecast.

If I have to replant the first 5.5 acres, it won't be too big of a deal

BSK

I saw this forecast of rain the last two days, but I didn't like the chances or forecast low amounts. In addition, I REALLY didn't like the forecast of no rain afterwards for two weeks. Getting just enough rain for seed to germinate, then a couple of weeks mini-drought, is the death knell for fall food plots.

tellico4x4

Were getting a little rain now and sure needed it. Dusty & rag weed starting to rock the past few days. Gonna hold off as well. Plan on doing them in batches this year. Gonna get 10 or so ready for seed this weekend & wait...

Latest posts