Pest Control on Private Land

scubacamper

If a private land owner is having a vegetation destruction problem by way of deer and they ask me (or any other hunter) to come in and remove a few, do the season regulations apply, since it would be for pest control reasons?

scn

scubacamper":1kxclz2o said:
If a private land owner is having a vegetation destruction problem by way of deer and they ask me (or any other hunter) to come in and remove a few, do the season regulations apply, since it would be for pest control reasons?

ANY big game depredation killing requires a permit from TWRA. The landowner can contact the local Wildlife Officer by going through the regional office and leaving a call back number.

Without that permit, you will have to abide by all seasons and bag limits.

Atchman2

Just FYI, usually they will tell you to wait until after the season before they give out depredation permits. The last time I was helping a landowner, the TWRA guy said, "Don't you have any friends? Tell them to come and shoot some of these deer". :rotf:

The thing is where I had my last permit, the deer basically waited until after hunting season to come back and destroy the property. Depredation permits though gives you a WIDE latitude in taking deer. Sometimes allowing baiting even to gather them up so you can drop a bunch at a time.

Latest posts