Personal best!!

Shed Hunter

Between kills, sheds, and skulls I just found my personal best! He had to be old, his skulls is friggen huge. Will post a pic of the jawbone if yall want.
2013-02-08141027_zps10f2e2e9.jpg

2013-02-08144343-Copy_zpsc6b33705.jpg

2013-02-08150226_zps6ddbdac5.jpg

I'll have to polish him up a bit and find a spot on the wall!

Score guesses for fun if ya want.

catman529

Looks like a great find. I love finding skulls. Post up the jawbone pics! Last skull I found was a doe and she was ancient.

Shed Hunter

catman529 said:
Looks like a great find. I love finding skulls. Post up the jawbone pics! Last skull I found was a doe and she was ancient.

I'll get a jawbone pic later tonight. I found a doe skull 50 yards from this one. It was a young doe though.

I wasnt really shed hunting either.. just got bored and had an extra cam so I went to put it out and lucked up.

catman529

Master Chief said:
catman529 said:

I'll get a jawbone pic later tonight. I found a doe skull 50 yards from this one. It was a young doe though.

I wasnt really shed hunting either.. just got bored and had an extra cam so I went to put it out and lucked up.
Bone piles get me excited every time, never know if it's a 56 year old doe or a monster buck.... ever since the bone pile with the 170" skull back in 2010, I have always looked for a skull every time I see deer bones.

Shed Hunter

Yep, bone piles are always a good sign of a skull.. I usually find the bones first but I have just foumd random skulls too. I've actually found more skulls than I have sheds.. way more counting doe skulls. I'm hoping to beat this one pretty quick with sheds from some of my trail cam bucks but as to whether or not I actually find them is a complete guess.

This deer scored right at what I expected- between 125-130. 127 3/4 to be exact.. I can't imagine how exciting it was to find the 170" buck.

catman529

Master Chief said:
Yep, bone piles are always a good sign of a skull.. I usually find the bones first. I've actually found more skulls than I have sheds.. way more counting doe skulls. I'm hoping to beat this one pretty quick with sheds from some of my trail cam bucks but as to whether or not I actually find them is a complete guess.

This deer scored right at what I expected- between 125-130. 127 3/4 to be exact.. I can't imagine how exciting it was to find the 170" buck.
when I found that buck it was before I knew we had big deer in the area. I was new to deer hunting and in fact had only been shed hunting, this was before I even went deer hunting. I had a successful shed season though and even found a couple of sheds in June in the same area I found the skull. It grossed in the 180s.

C99DA261-87DE-406A-A94F-D857818AABA7-8197-00000DCF2F7C9004.jpg

Now post up those jaw pics!

catman529

Master Chief said:
Sorry about being slow on the jawbone pics. I just got back home so I'll have em up in a few minutes. :)
No rush, just get em up asap! ;)

I will say finding the doe skull a few days ago was about as exciting as finding a good buck skull. It's not every day you see deer teeth worn almost down to the bone, that must have been one wise old deer and judging by the size of the skull, she was a big one too.

Shed Hunter

catman529 said:
Master Chief said:
Sorry about being slow on the jawbone pics. I just got back home so I'll have em up in a few minutes. :)
No rush, just get em up asap! ;)

I will say finding the doe skull a few days ago was about as exciting as finding a good buck skull. It's not every day you see deer teeth worn almost down to the bone, that must have been one wise old deer and judging by the size of the skull, she was a big one too.

This shows his skull size pretty good.
2013-02-08164755_zps368cf886.jpg

all I have is my phone for pics hope they're good enough.
2013-02-08164845_zps6212dee3.jpg

2013-02-08164906_zpsae0a9501.jpg

2013-02-08164927_zps34045b0d.jpg

catman529

A bit blurry but my guess is 3.5. Actually that was my "wild guess" when I saw the first pic of the skull, just by looking at the top teeth. I only made that first guess because there is a 4.5 doe skull sitting right next to me and a 7+ doe skull on the shelf behind me. :D

Shed Hunter

catman529 said:
A bit blurry but my guess is 3.5. Actually that was my "wild guess" when I saw the first pic of the skull, just by looking at the top teeth. I only made that first guess because there is a 4.5 doe skull sitting right next to me and a 7+ doe skull on the shelf behind me. :D

I wouldn't doubt 3.5. The teeth don't look very worn to me.

Shed Hunter

Hey guys what can I use to get the green off? I have some weak hydrogen peroxide and benzoyl peroxide if that would work. I dont care too much for the green antlers lol

catman529

Master Chief said:
Hey guys what can I use to get the green off? I have some weak hydrogen peroxide and benzoyl peroxide if that would work. I dont care too much for the green antlers lol
do you have the volume 40 peroxide from a beauty supply shop? They sell a cream version that is easy to paint on with a paintbrush. Let it sit an hour or longer depending on how white you want, then rinse thoroughly. But it will make your antlers white so you may want to put some wood stain on them and maybe touch up especially around the bases to restore some brown color. I haven't done this myself and my big 170" skull had some faded antlers and maye even a hint of green but I left it the way it is, beside painting the skull white.

Shed Hunter

Nah its just the regular stuff you put on cuts. I'm not worried too much about it right now so I'll just wait and get the high strength stuff first.

When I get it done I'll use this skull and the piebald feet I have to make a another bow/gun rack. Kinda like the one I have now..
2013-02-06194316_zpsf7d49f4a.jpg

I found that skull in the field next to the field the one from today was in.

catman529

Master Chief said:
Nah its just the regular stuff you put on cuts. I'm not worried too much about it right now so I'll just wait and get the high strength stuff first.

When I get it done I'll use this skull and the piebald feet I have to make a another bow/gun rack. Kinda like the one I have now..
2013-02-06194316_zpsf7d49f4a.jpg

I found that skull in the field next to the field the one from today was in.
it says you moved or deleted the pic.

Outdoor life

Nice! I'm so jealous of these finds!!! I would love to find a single shed around here, just to find one, and to say that there is a buck around here...all I've seen are doe, and lots of them.

Latest posts