Old public land

Snake

Yes lewis county had a bunch where the elephant sanctuary is now and some was just off hwy 412 north side of lewis County. I had a church friend that got me permits but I was much to young to know how to hunt it. My grandmother would drop me off and come back and get me. I was maybe 13. 1995ish lol I couldn't go in too far because I had to be able to hear her ford ranger horn and she would be upset if she had to wait long..... I miss her and these memories.
Our tract bordered 412 and county line road (Lewis/Perry) . When we first got it Willamette was a great host about clear cutting . They would cut about 100 acres of your leased part then go to another tract . Beautiful property and used to enjoy hunting that place . After we let the lease go (voted by club members) it wasn't long before Willamette sold it and who ever bought raped the property clear cutting practically the whole tract . It was a long ride for most of us taking me around 4 - 4 1/2 hours most times to get there and not much lodging at that time. I've had to drive to Columbia or Lawrenceburg to get a room at times .

DoubleRidge

Yes lewis county had a bunch where the elephant sanctuary is now and some was just off hwy 412 north side of lewis County. I had a church friend that got me permits but I was much to young to know how to hunt it. My grandmother would drop me off and come back and get me. I was maybe 13. 1995ish lol I couldn't go in too far because I had to be able to hear her ford ranger horn and she would be upset if she had to wait long..... I miss her and these memories.

Wow Duck dogn.....your story really stirred some memories for me...not to go off of the topic of public land but as a 15 year old my dad worked for the rail road and was gone all the time. But our family had some land about 25 minutes away from where we lived....and my mother would get up, well before daylight, and drive my cousin and I to the land and drop us off in the dark....oh and there were no cell phones back then so if we killed anything we'd have to walk way up the dirt road and knock on doors to find a phone and if we didn't call then she'd pick us up at the gate after dark....this was probably around 1984... amazing memories from a different time....ok...sorry to get off topic.

Last edited:

Latest posts