Old public land

zb1994

Does anyone remember a land area that was hunted I would guess in the 80s in the hickman county or dickson county area named champion international wma? I was going through some hunting stuff of my late uncles and found some maps that had that name at the top. Searching online has got me nowhere. I've found topo maps from the hickman county area, LBL, and some others that had had hand marked. I'm sure none of these area's are the same anymore 40 years later but the maps do mean a lot to me since they were his.

Gravey

Yes. Willamette sold their 175,000 acres in the region about 18 years ago. I have clients who now own parcels of that land.
Our lease was part of it and I know a bunch around us were part of it too. I know ours plus the 2 across the road total 4500-5000 acres. The man that owns all of it owns over 50,000 acres according to what I'm told.

JCDEERMAN

Willamette used to back up against our old place in Coble. It was a timber company and was open to the public, with a permit I believe. Kind of lost track of willamette when we bought our new place about 20 minutes away in 2000. Champion backs up to this property, and it is also a timber company (pines). Champion is parceled out now and is owned and leased by private groups.

BSK

Our lease was part of it and I know a bunch around us were part of it too. I know ours plus the 2 across the road total 4500-5000 acres. The man that owns all of it owns over 50,000 acres according to what I'm told.
The entire tract was sold to a single group, then was parceled up over and over into smaller tracts. There's still a few big ones left, but most are down to 300-1,200 acres.

Duck dogn

We leased a large tract (1580 acs) from Willamette in the 90's at a very decent price in Lewis Co. It was good for several years then there was a deer die off .
Yes lewis county had a bunch where the elephant sanctuary is now and some was just off hwy 412 north side of lewis County. I had a church friend that got me permits but I was much to young to know how to hunt it. My grandmother would drop me off and come back and get me. I was maybe 13. 1995ish lol I couldn't go in too far because I had to be able to hear her ford ranger horn and she would be upset if she had to wait long..... I miss her and these memories.

killingtime 41

Isn't it a shame the state didn't buy some of that land and turn it into public land of some kind. Big tracks like that don't come around just all the time. Use our money to get us bigger and new places to hunt. Not a housing development after housing development.

Antler Daddy

Isn't it a shame the state didn't buy some of that land and turn it into public land of some kind. Big tracks like that don't come around just all the time. Use our money to get us bigger and new places to hunt. Not a housing development after housing development.
The real shame is that TWRA didn't learn thier lesson!

Here we are 20 years later and they don't offer a public lands permit that would go towards buying land. 5000 hunters buying even a voluntary habitat stamp for 5, 10, 20, 50 bucks would add up to buy some land when it becomes available .

Trey13

The real shame is that TWRA didn't learn thier lesson!

Here we are 20 years later and they don't offer a public lands permit that would go towards buying land. 5000 hunters buying even a voluntary habitat stamp for 5, 10, 20, 50 bucks would add up to buy some land when it becomes available .
They would use it on something else. Behind the closed doors goody's

megalomaniac

Hey, it's doable... just tack on another $10 to the hunting license or add a new habitat management fee, offer landowners to enroll in a state program for $20 per acre to let hunters access, and then open up those properties as walk in areas to the public. That's what they do in many states out west and it works great. Win for everyone... hunters, the state, and landowners alike.

Latest posts