Office supply lithium AA

Speedwell-Hunter

Looks like it has gotten even worse, here is office supply 24 count as of 4-18-23; last summer we could get them for $28 for 24:

1681848035579.png

BSK

My concern about the rechargeables isn't how long they will last, as I visit my cameras almost weekly and could easily change out batteries when needed, but how many rechargeables I would need. Currently, I need 104 AA batteries to run my cameras. That would mean 104 rechargeables plus another set of rechargeables ready to be swapped in. I guess I could get away with only having a couple of cameras worth of extra rechargeables ready to be swapped in and just rotate which cameras get swapped that visit, but we're still talking about probably about 140 rechargeables (plus the hassle of swapping out batteries on the charger).

With the AmpTORRENT rechargeables, they're $23 for a 4-pack. So for me to have 140 rechargeables, I'm looking at $805! Yes, over the long haul, they are a better option, but it would take 3 years to recoup the difference (at best current prices, it costs me $260 to fill all my cams with fresh Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries each year).

Andy S.

This may sound crazy, but I have yet to find a rechargeable AA battery that works worth a darn during the extreme heat in the summer. I currently use approximately 72 Eneloop 2000 mah batteries in standard and cellular cameras, but the extreme heat zaps them A LOT faster than colder temps. I currently only use them in cameras that are easier to access so I can change them out, recharge, etc in a timely manner. Rechargeables are solid performers during fall/winter months (Oct-Mar), but I only get 25-35 days during peak summer heat and humidity.

Generally speaking, I now use Duracell coppertops (alkaline) during warmer months (May-Sep) and get 10-14 weeks out of a set, and lithium and rechargeables during cooler/colder months (Oct-Apr).

Of course, all of this is contingent on your setup and camera settings. Salt lick in summer with camera settings on 5 shot burst and no delay in a high density deer population area will eat batteries faster than you can replace them.

BPhunter

This may sound crazy, but I have yet to find a rechargeable AA battery that works worth a darn during the extreme heat in the summer. I currently use approximately 72 Eneloop 2000 mah batteries in standard and cellular cameras, but the extreme heat zaps them A LOT faster than colder temps. I currently only use them in cameras that are easier to access so I can change them out, recharge, etc in a timely manner. Rechargeables are solid performers during fall/winter months (Oct-Mar), but I only get 25-35 days during peak summer heat and humidity.

Generally speaking, I now use Duracell coppertops (alkaline) during warmer months (May-Sep) and get 10-14 weeks out of a set, and lithium and rechargeables during cooler/colder months (Oct-Apr).

Of course, all of this is contingent on your setup and camera settings. Salt lick in summer with camera settings on 5 shot burst and no delay in a high density deer population area will eat batteries faster than you can replace them.
Heat and cold will shorten the efficiency of lithium batteries. That is just an unfortunate fact that the EV folks don't tell the public. The mileage these EV manufacturers and Gov't tell you that you'll get are under IDEAL CONDITIONS. IDEAL CONDITIONS DON'T EXIST EXCEPT IN A LABORATORY!!

Same goes for the smaller AAA, AA, C, D batteries. You are going to have to recharge them more often.

BPhunter

These have saved me lots of $$$
that's great, but very limited for other devices.

Andy S.

What about adding the solar charger to keep the batteries charging.
Even in the woods it should recharge some.
Just asking I'm thinking of going this route
No experience, but I have read numerous success stories and guys promoting solar for those who have cameras that remain stationary in same location 99% of the time. IMO, it is almost worth a try on just one camera set to see how you would like it, and then make an informed decision if you would want to repeat it with other camera locations. Food for thought.

BSK

No experience, but I have read numerous success stories and guys promoting solar for those who have cameras that remain stationary in same location 99% of the time. IMO, it is almost worth a try on just one camera set to see how you would like it, and then make an informed decision if you would want to repeat it with other camera locations. Food for thought.
How do the solar chargers work? Most of my cameras have a port for plugging in an external battery. Would you need rechargeable batteries in the camera and then you plug the solar charger into the external battery port, or do need the solar charger attached to an external battery that is then plugged into the camera?

Andy S.

If I were going to buy one today, I would likely go with the all in one Herd360 PowerPack/Solar Panel. You charge the internal rechargeable battery one time in your house/shop, then you deploy it and solar panel (all one piece) to the field, plug into your camera, and you should be set. Sun/solar panel/internal rechargeable battery/unlimited camera operation. If you have detailed questions, call Herd360 owner Mike Kirkpatrick and he can go deeper in the discussion with you. He is an avid outdoorsman and trail/cell camera user. He knows a thing or two.

Solar Power Pack SPP 1025 Trail Camera Solar Power