Academy Sports AA Batteries.

TheLBLman

One more thing:

Just because your power source may be good yet for months or ongoing, that doesn't mean you're not needing to visit your cam site periodically. Personally, having solar & auxiliary power sources have little effect on how often I need to visit most my cams.

Over time, limbs, leaves, & weeds grow, requiring a visit to clip them. SD cards can quickly fill up from nothing more than a big new weed that grew up in front of the cam, suddenly causing your cam to take hundreds of pics daily from a weed blowing in the wind. Can also happen after a storm comes thru, dropping a leafy limb in front of your cam.

With a non-cell cam, you might just fail to visit the site for months, not realizing your cam hasn't worked for months, just because you assumed your power source was ongoing good?

And with cell cams, they have both unique advantages & disadvantages. One not-uncommon-enough issue is that raccoons & squirrels can break off your antennae. This can cause your cam to stop transmitting pics, even though your power source is good. I've also had tree limbs fall & break off antennae. This is why some cams have internal antennae, but then, they require a higher level of cell service to transmit.

All of my cams (both cell & non-cell) have long enough battery life that going to auxiliary power & solar would typically not increase the time in between cam site visits. Such alternate power sources may save some money over the long term, but it may be a very long term, and that may be totally negated by animals' increased "cam avoidance" along with increased risks of theft & sabotage by trespassers.

At present, a better option for me appears to be the newest rechargeable lithium AA batteries. They cost much more up front (than Energizer Lithium AA), but may save more money over time than solar chargers & auxiliary power sources. These particular rechargeable batteries are new & novel, far superior to any others I've tried, and I do use a lot of rechargeable AAs in non-cell cams, but these are good for cell cams.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

I have 3 "go-to" places for buying Energizer AA lithiums whenever I need more.

Buc-ee's, Sam's, and Academy Sports.

Buc-ee's is usually the cheapest, and you can get 8-packs.
Sam's only has them in 18-packs.
Academy is often comparably priced.

Madbowh

Trying to understand here..... it's looking like the guys burning through batteries are having more expensive/ quality cameras????I won't spend more than$40 on one if that, i only buy them on sale. To many things could happen to them. All my"cheapies" last at least a couple years, I'm getting 50-$100 cameras on sale. Moultrie(not really liking these but if price is right) wild game, stealth cam...... these work for me for years they don't have a lot of features.

Average is
60ft range, really good day and night videos. Date and time only. Energizer alkaline batteries last 6 months with life left.

Maybe some guys can list make, features, battery use/ life. Curious about a few things, if I spent more money on a cam I'd be mad if it burnt through batteries, some of mine take hundreds of videos a season.

What are the expensive cameras offering that I'm not getting other than cell cams