Night time predator hunts?

Are you in favor of night time predator hunting?

• Yes

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • It won't help turkey survival.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • You feel other solutions are better

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

scn

This is where twra needs to get with the Georgia DNR, they allow night time predator hunting with center-fire. I'd say Tn hunters are just as safe as Georgia Hunters.
And, a federal officer was killed in Georgia by a night coyote hunter with a centerfire rifle. One of the reasons I would fight against legalizing rifles at night.

timberjack86

And, a federal officer was killed in Georgia by a night coyote hunter with a centerfire rifle. One of the reasons I would fight against legalizing rifles at night.
Scn I respect what your saying but think how many people are killed hunting legally every year. Should we be hunting during the day? Is there any data or statistics that prove night hunting with a rifle is more dangerous? As sportsman we should always know what's beyond our target day or night.

timberjack86

Scn I respect what your saying but think how many people are killed hunting legally every year. Should we be hunting during the day? Is there any data or statistics that prove night hunting with a rifle is more dangerous? As sportsman we should always know what's beyond our target day or night.
Also what about the incident with the twra officer shooting someone last year? Daytime turkey hunting with a shotgun wasn't it?

scn

As I said earlier, I can get behind some night time shotgun only predator hunting from mid-January to mid-September. That way it is outside the deer season and lessens some of the temptations for the deer poaching.

I'll actively oppose a night time rifle season due to the inherent safety issues and problems with non-target animals.

However, it is probably a moot point as I seriously doubt that there would be any support from the agency for either.

timberjack86

As I said earlier, I can get behind some night time shotgun only predator hunting from mid-January to mid-September. That way it is outside the deer season and lessens some of the temptations for the deer poaching.

I'll actively oppose a night time rifle season due to the inherent safety issues and problems with non-target animals.

However, it is probably a moot point as I seriously doubt that there would be any support from the agency for either.
Your probably right about it being a moot point and if shotgun is all we get I would be happy with that.

Omega

Sounds like it is more dangerous for officers to put out robot deer at night inviting nighttime poachers, than to have lawful nighttime predator hunting, with night vision.

JCDEERMAN

I would definitely be in favor of this, especially during this time period you mentioned.

PickettSFHunter

Again, those who are worried about safety, there are loads of people out at night right now shooting hogs with rifles in TN. What's the safety difference? I see no increased safety issues for one animal over another at night. Coyotes are more widespread sure, but night hunting with rifles is going on in many counties right now.

Planking

Yeah im also baffled by some saying safety concerns. There are probably more night hog hunters than deer hunters in my area and i don't see how it suddenly turns into a safety issue if its a bobcat or a coyote standing there instead of hog. Maybe someone can explain how that happens better because that makes no sense.

One member asked about seeing the coyotes at night. I see them almost every night when i hog hunt and that's without calling. Just me scanning or sitting.

Night hunting is one of the faster, if not the fastest growing segment of the hunting population. I love it myself. It is a shame we aren't provided some opportunities.

Last edited:

scn

Again, those who are worried about safety, there are loads of people out at night right now shooting hogs with rifles in TN. What's the safety difference? I see no increased safety issues for one animal over another at night. Coyotes are more widespread sure, but night hunting with rifles is going on in many counties right now.
One major difference between the two is one would be a sport hunting season, and the other is not. It is depredation control, and the use of rifles to do it is sort of a necessary evil to kill those animals.

I doubt that you would have anyone in the agency say they "like" having night time hunting for hogs with rifles. But, they are out of control for a lot of reasons, and it has been allowed as a control method.

Planking

I believe you will have less poaching for the simple reason you will have honest hunters out there at night who will report them.
Ive called the police a couple of times while i was out hog hunting. I watched some people dumping tires and another time they were bashing mail boxes. They don't have a clue you are around.

PickettSFHunter

One major difference between the two is one would be a sport hunting season, and the other is not. It is depredation control, and the use of rifles to do it is sort of a necessary evil to kill those animals.

I doubt that you would have anyone in the agency say they "like" having night time hunting for hogs with rifles. But, they are out of control for a lot of reasons, and it has been allowed as a control method.
Do we really think it matters if it's called hunting or depredation control? I can assure you the people out doing hog control call it hog hunting and don't perceive any difference. Actually more relaxed since you don't even have to have a hunting license.

KPH

Are not coyotes out of control and have been sense they showed up in this part of the country in the late 60's. I don't know that TWRA ever tried to do anything to even slow them down.