First time to LBL for youth

Bgoodman30

Little man and I arrived at 6 am Friday and heard 2-3 birds on the roost. After 7 am silence not another gobble for the rest of the day. Lot of boots on the ground in a pretty good looking spot I found on the map. We set camp close by to hope to hold our spot.

Opening morning listen for roosted bird and nothing but hear one about 600 yards away next ridge over. Heard another one in vicinity. Move on it and get set up about fly down time. No response to calls and zero ground gobbling. Finally get one gobble and he has moved 200 yards to south. About that time in that direction boom... He gobbles again and it wasn't him so we make our move. Get closer call and he answers at about 150 yards. Get set up and he is still drifting south.. With a 2pm baseball game I knew we better stay in his bubble and couldn't wait him out which may have been my tactic alone. We move another 100 yards looking for setup and boom... Silence.. Went for 3.5 mile walk and not another peep. Only 2-3 birds heard in 2 days and they wont be gobbling again. Plenty of hog and predator tracks and only one turkey tract. Lots of pressure I have hunted much smaller spots and rarely had a bird shot out from under me.. The boy and I still had fun camping and exploring though.

Bgoodman30

Sounds like a great time hunting, unfortunately the turkeys didn't cooperate. Been deer hunting there for 30 years and the turkey sightings have declined drastically over the last 10 years.

Yeah it was like looking for a needle and a haystack.

Bgoodman30

That place needs a chainsaw bad. I don't care for it.
At least the area we hunted had recently been burned. The ground was covered with more un eaten acorns than I have ever seen in my life. Mainly chestnut oaks I think. You were walking on a carpet of acorns never seen anything like it.

Buzzard Breath

At least the area we hunted had recently been burned. The ground was covered with more un eaten acorns than I have ever seen in my life.
Like this. 😃

20240323_111130.jpg

Southern Sportsman

We were there, but on the KY side. There were a couple of big burned areas and they were also littered with acorns. I found a lone turkey Friday evening just before fly up. I was about 80% sure it was a gobbler, but I couldn't confirm. If it was a gobbler, he didn't gobble the next morning. Hunted until 2:00 but never got in the game. Pretty day, though.

I'd never hunted the KY side, so I may have just been in bad spots. And I couldn't cover ground like I normally would since I was hunting with an 8 yr old. But I never found a track, poop, feather, or other sign of living turkeys except the one I saw Fri. It looks like four (4) turkeys were checked in on the TN side. Three gobblers and a jake.

Bgoodman30

We were there, but on the KY side. There were a couple of big burned areas and they were also littered with acorns. I found a lone turkey Friday evening just before fly up. I was about 80% sure it was a gobbler, but I couldn't confirm. If it was a gobbler, he didn't gobble the next morning. Hunted until 2:00 but never got in the game. Pretty day, though.

I'd never hunted the KY side, so I may have just been in bad spots. And I couldn't cover ground like I normally would since I was hunting with an 8 yr old. But I never found a track, poop, feather, or other sign of living turkeys except the one I saw Fri. It looks like four (4) turkeys were checked in on the TN side. Three gobblers and a jake.

Wow, yeah we found one hen track. Four birds checked in and I was within 200 yards of two shot. Also heard one other shot at around 10 am. Not good

Coker

It's very unfortunate what's happened to LBL. The feds just can't seem to do anything to address the hogs. You see more done on private land to knock hogs back than you do that place.
The mismanagement started way before the hogs arrived. Once TVA gave it up, it slowly started going downhill

nate17

We were there on the Tennessee side. First morning we only heard a 3 or 4 gobbles far off and I was toting around a 6 year old so I didn't feel it was wise to attempt cover that amount of ground. We stayed in the area we started because several hens had flown down and were doing most of the work for us. We eventually walked up on a bird in full strut and I almost got him set up for a shot but was busted.

Second day we went to a new area heard a few gobbles far off so we started covering some ground with the wind cooperating better than day 1. We struck a bird at 0930. Finally worked the group of birds which consisted of 2 strutters and 6 hens to 60 yards by 1100. There were at 60 yards for probably 20 minutes. One strutter split off and come to 35 but my boy couldn't see him in the brush (I think he was probably locked on the other strutter which was in plain view at 60 yards). The hens eventually carried them down the ridge away from us.

Killing a bird would have been icing on the cake for what was a great memory for me and my boy. We hiked a total of 4 miles on Sunday and built a little character for him in the process.

Bgoodman30

We were there on the Tennessee side. First morning we only heard a 3 or 4 gobbles far off and I was toting around a 6 year old so I didn't feel it was wise to attempt cover that amount of ground. We stayed in the area we started because several hens had flown down and were doing most of the work for us. We eventually walked up on a bird in full strut and I almost got him set up for a shot but was busted.

Second day we went to a new area heard a few gobbles far off so we started covering some ground with the wind cooperating better than day 1. We struck a bird at 0930. Finally worked the group of birds which consisted of 2 strutters and 6 hens to 60 yards by 1100. There were at 60 yards for probably 20 minutes. One strutter split off and come to 35 but my boy couldn't see him in the brush (I think he was probably locked on the other strutter which was in plain view at 60 yards). The hens eventually carried them down the ridge away from us.

Killing a bird would have been icing on the cake for what was a great memory for me and my boy. We hiked a total of 4 miles on Sunday and built a little character for him in the process.
Awesome! Good to know they still live somewhere!

Southern Sportsman

Great Dads, both of you! Kids don't need to be spoon fed turkeys from a popup blind. Getting a few unsuccessful hunts together in the woods before killing one builds character and will teach them to appreciate the occasional success!
My boy is 8, and this is his first year on the gun, so I've thought about this a hell of a lot lately. I decided that if he really wants to turkey hunt with his dad like he says he does, he's going to have like turkey hunting the way his dad does it. Which includes the occasional long, quiet walk through LBL.

Last edited: