First time to LBL for youth

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
My boy is 8, and this is his first year on the gun, so I've thought about this a hell of a lot lately. I decided that if wants to turkey hunt with his dad like he says he does, he's going to have like turkey hunting the way his dad does it. Which includes the occasional long, quiet walk through LBL.
I've taken a lot of youngsters turkey hunting over the years, and while I don't go up and down as many hills as I would by myself, I do not coddle or take it easy on them either. They walk through the cold creeks and up the hills, sit for long stretches and sometimes never hear a gobble or see a turkey. But they al love it!

Turkeychaser

This post brought up sweet my memories. I took my best friends nephew over there 14 years ago maybe. The first morning we had 5 Jake's come in but I couldn't get him turned right. The last morning we had two gobblers come in but his gun was pointing the wrong direction by 6 inches. My Stepdad has had some major issues the last few weeks and the last turkey we killed together was at LBL.

deerfever

LBL is a beautiful place and the area has lots of history. I had not been out in years and had hopes to hear several like the old days . Not the case at all, day 1 not a single gobble. My son said he walked 6.3 miles so I must have walked 10 as he slept in the truck while I scouted some areas for day 2 ! Lol. Day 2 we actually seen the hen go to a bird we were working off the roost. We then got after one that we heard sound off on another ridge as we worked the first one. 2.5 hours later 3 call changes , playing hard to get, scratching leaves, feeling the gobble vibrate off our faces,. hearing him spit and drum. He whipped us! I absolutely loved it , he was in the area he wanted us to come just out of sight and he wasn't budging over the crest of the hill where we waited and could see about 40 yards. It reminded me of one thing there is not as many but the LBL birds are still tough as ever! That's what keeps you going back for more, he had a good time.

Last edited: