Next bama coach

THEdonkey0515

Dabo has falling off last couple of years and got touched by Joe Milton & Heupel in a year year six bowl. Dude was kissing the ground, when a FG went through in a bowl game against KY.

Lane has put an impressive class together at Ole Miss for a run at the 2024 playoffs. Is he willing to give that up to follow in sabans shoes?

Lanning is going into year 3 of a 6 year deal & couldn't beat Washington in mutiple trys with bo nix & a really good Oregon team. Has a $20+ million buyout.

Last edited:

Gravey

Serious question.

Who would want to follow him and have to deal with that fanbase constantly comparing him to Saban?

This offseason just got so much more entertaining.
That's my thinking. It's like following Pat Summit. I hate to admit it and have said it before, he's the best I've ever seen. Bama fans wanna talk Bear Bryant but what Saban did was way more impressive IMO. Much more parity during his coaching career when compared to Bear.

JBell

With the portal, they will name successor quickly. I'd imagine they have a pretty good idea on target. Curious honestly

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Serious question.

Who would want to follow him and have to deal with that fanbase constantly comparing him to Saban?

This offseason just got so much more entertaining.
I can't deal with Bama fans and I like Alabama. I must qualify…I don't like MANY Bama fans. There are many that are sane and just fine.

Iglow

Everybody knowns how these things go, it's doublely worse with the Bama situation and to use a Saban saying , sec teams Auburn,Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee,Texas, and others are fixing to run through Bama like 💩 through a tin horn and Bama ain't gonna be able to stop them! The payback for all that mouthing from Bama fans is coming due.
No coach/program does much after a great one leaves, and in a season or so they fade away into obscurity, just another doormat to wipe your feet on…..

Last edited:

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
That's my thinking. It's like following Pat Summit. I hate to admit it and have said it before, he's the best I've ever seen. Bama fans wanna talk Bear Bryant but what Saban did was way more impressive IMO. Much more parity during his coaching career when compared to Bear.
Yes. What I don't get is why can't Alabama fans just plain enjoy the fact that they have been winners for a long time. They have played really good football and it's a joy to see good football, even more so when it's your team. I get that there are rabid fans for all teams (Go Boilers :rolleyes: ) but the typical(?) Bama fan is WAY obnoxiously snarky hateful blind. They know football for sure, but they can't see what's in front of their face because of the Crimson Blood in their eyes. Not all, but an alarming proportion.

JBell

Throughout the program's history, when has that ever been the sustained norm for Alabama football?
It's just wishful thinking on their behalf. I understand saban is gone and it won't be the same. But expectations remain… bama wouldn't ride out butch jones or Dooley for 5 years. Plus elite coaches will be interested. Bama isn't a dumpster fire that UT was when searching

Iglow

"When Bryant retired after the 1982 season, Ray Perkins took on the daunting task of succeeding him at Alabama. He coached the Crimson Tide for four years from 1983 to 1986, compiling a record of 32–15–1. However, he went 5–6 in 1984"

"Franchione became the head coach at the University of Alabama in 2001 and led the team, which had posted a 3–8 record the prior season, to a 7–5 record in 2001"

"Alabama ended the season by losing their final three games to Mississippi State at home, LSU, and their fifth consecutive Iron Bowl loss to in state rival Auburn, ending with a 6–6 record. On November 26, one week after the Iron Bowl loss, Alabama athletic director Mal Moore notified Mike Shula that he would not be retained as the University of Alabama's head football coach for the 2007 season.[11] The University of Alabama had to pay Shula $4 million left on his contract after they fired him."

"Curry had an 0–3 record against Auburn. Indeed, he would never beat the Tigers in 12 tries during his career."
🤷‍♂️

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I suspect their top targets are:
Lanning
Deboer(sp?)
Norvell
Kiffin

All would have Bama back in the playoffs next year.

Nick was the greatest coach of modern times, and certainly in a small group for the greatest ever. Bama won't miss much of a beat.
There you go bringing logic into a perfectly emotional conversation

Latest posts