New round 8.6 blackout

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Kinda cool engineering in a tinkery sort of way, but I dunno that it does anything better than a big heavy subsonic bullet. Also doesn't make sense in a bulky ar10 platform

MUP

I say have at it LOL. The more the merrier. But, I'll just stick to the tried and trues, and keep trying to make what I have better. ;)

celebs GIF

DaveTN

I've never understood why someone would want to use anything other than the conventional, available, and time proven rounds we already have available. But I guess that's part of the fun of this hobby. I wish them all the best.

The only bad thing I see about them is they are a caliber I don't want when they show up in the classifieds. 🙃

tug

Unless you understand subsonic ballistics, this won't make much sense. If you understand the principles of subsonic ballistics, this makes perfect sense.

Without getting too deep, E=m x V2. In this case, we hold V constant. That is subsonic velocity, let's say 950 fps. To increase energy, then we can only increase mass. In this case, to around 300 gr. Now to bullet design.

A .44 mag can be loaded with 300 gr bullet to 950. But a 300 gr .44 mag ballistic coefficient is about .245. A 300 grain 8.6 is about .750.

You can shoot a 8.6 out of a semi auto. You can shoot an 8.6 at ranges over 400 yards.

There is something to be said for hitting a target at 400 yards in complete silence.

Gobble4me757

Really interesting...have a buddy saving to buy one. I think it could be awesome with the sub rounds and being able to kill deer at 150 yards as quiet as a suppressed .300 bo

hopmartin

My opinion/experience only...

The biggest difference maker for this cartridge is the twist rate. Just looking at the velocity and mass aren't going to impress you that much, compared to what's been done in the past for slow moving projectiles with decent mass.

The twist rate is what's crazy about this one. I don't know of anything that's spinning as fast as 8.6 BLK when it leaves the barrel.

I shot one from a very compact bolt gun a few months ago. It sounded like a 22lr leaving the barrel, but a freight train when it hit the target. It's worth keeping an eye on.

Mb423

My opinion/experience only...

The biggest difference maker for this cartridge is the twist rate. Just looking at the velocity and mass aren't going to impress you that much, compared to what's been done in the past for slow moving projectiles with decent mass.

The twist rate is what's crazy about this one. I don't know of anything that's spinning as fast as 8.6 BLK when it leaves the barrel.

I shot one from a very compact bolt gun a few months ago. It sounded like a 22lr leaving the barrel, but a freight train when it hit the target. It's worth keeping an eye on.
Did you get to play with a suppressed fix?

Latest posts