New rifle or muzzleloader

Shanman

One thing you are going to have to overcome if going cheaper is the feel of plastic versus wood. Both the Savage and Ruger Americans are shooters, but still don't feel as good as a wood stock, if that's what you are used to. Fwiw

BPhunter

One thing you are going to have to overcome if going cheaper is the feel of plastic versus wood. Both the Savage and Ruger Americans are shooters, but still don't feel as good as a wood stock, if that's what you are used to. Fwiw
That is true. But I believe he is trying to be frugal.
That being said, there are some excellent, expensive rifles out there, with quality polymer stocks.
If he goes muzzleloader then he has to decide: flintlock, percussion, inline.

AveryPC

That is true. But I believe he is trying to be frugal.
That being said, there are some excellent, expensive rifles out there, with quality polymer stocks.
If he goes muzzleloader then he has to decide: flintlock, percussion, inline.
I defiantly want to go with an inline muzzleloader, I hunted with a percussion last season, and it was more of a challenge then I am ready for. As the cheaper stocks it's something I know I will have to get used to, but I think it will allow me to get more use out of it and not worry if it bumps a tree stand.

BPhunter

I defiantly want to go with an inline muzzleloader, I hunted with a percussion last season, and it was more of a challenge then I am ready for. As the cheaper stocks it's something I know I will have to get used to, but I think it will allow me to get more use out of it and not worry if it bumps a tree stand.
No matter which ML you decide on practice, practice, practice Remember: twist, powder adjustment, bullet & bullet weight require patience to find that sweet spot that the ML likes. You can have 2 ML's the very same and each will be different when it comes to that. Good luck friend and post the results. And above all, have fun.

Ski

I got an entry level Traditions in line a couple seasons ago for a couple hundred bucks. It came equipped with scope. Bought some 295gr power belts and some triple 7 powder pellets. Using 2 pellets I sighted in at 150yds and it's as accurate at that distance as my deer rifle. Out of the box it was on at 100yds. I can't imagine muzzle loader hunting being any less complicated or cheaper than that.

I'm not a traditionalist. No desire to make things any more difficult. I like easy and repeatable, and since ml season is only a couple weeks I wanted cheap. The cheap combo deal was perfect. Best part is my was was first to use it and first time out tagged a funky rack drop tine buck. For a cheap hunting rig I've got zero complaints.

Attachments

• 20230622_145547.jpg
    20230622_145547.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 32

kaizen leader

I got an entry level Traditions in line a couple seasons ago for a couple hundred bucks. It came equipped with scope. Bought some 295gr power belts and some triple 7 powder pellets. Using 2 pellets I sighted in at 150yds and it's as accurate at that distance as my deer rifle. Out of the box it was on at 100yds. I can't imagine muzzle loader hunting being any less complicated or cheaper than that.

I'm not a traditionalist. No desire to make things any more difficult. I like easy and repeatable, and since ml season is only a couple weeks I wanted cheap. The cheap combo deal was perfect. Best part is my was was first to use it and first time out tagged a funky rack drop tine buck. For a cheap hunting rig I've got zero complaints.
I am 100% in agreement.

kaizen leader

I am considering getting a new rifle or muzzleloader for this upcoming deer season. I have always used a Browning BAR 30-06 that my grandad passed on to me, but in the last few years I have noticed a few too many dings in the wood finish and I would rather save it for special occasions at this point. Having no experience with different guns and calibers and a limited budget of five to six hundred bucks to get a rifle I do not know what would be best. I like the look of the Ruger Americans and they seem to fit my price range, but I am wondering if I am better off looking at the classifieds here or pawn shops for a used gun. I also had the idea of just getting a muzzleloader when applying for quota hunts, since I had to borrow one for last year's quota hunt, and that would cover both bases. Any advice for where to look or what to get would really help.
Don't do what I did! I never shot a muzzle loader and bought an inexpensive Traditions. Then I went to sight it in and screwed up. After shooting it at the TERA range a few shots a couldn't find the ram rod. Then when the stop shooting whistle blew I went down the range and found it about 25 yards down. What a dummy. I ordered a new one and finished sighting it. Still shoots great. It hard for an old fart like me to learn new things. I'm glad nothing serious happened. Good luck.

Tenntrapper

For your price range, and if going CF, check out buds for a savage 110 apex Hunter XP. They are available in most calibers, come with a Vortex scope, adjustable lop stock, and can be had for just over 600 including xfer. Definitely a step up from the axis or American (nothing wrong with those).

Also agree with above (at least in Knoxville area), pawn shops, arms list, etc., are still acting like the shortage is still going on...wanting more than new prices, etc.

Latest posts