New rifle or muzzleloader

AveryPC

I am considering getting a new rifle or muzzleloader for this upcoming deer season. I have always used a Browning BAR 30-06 that my grandad passed on to me, but in the last few years I have noticed a few too many dings in the wood finish and I would rather save it for special occasions at this point. Having no experience with different guns and calibers and a limited budget of five to six hundred bucks to get a rifle I do not know what would be best. I like the look of the Ruger Americans and they seem to fit my price range, but I am wondering if I am better off looking at the classifieds here or pawn shops for a used gun. I also had the idea of just getting a muzzleloader when applying for quota hunts, since I had to borrow one for last year's quota hunt, and that would cover both bases. Any advice for where to look or what to get would really help.

BPhunter

We hunt elk & deer every year with .54 cal percussion muzzleloaders.
but trade off every so often with CF rifles.I use a 30-06 or .308, one son uses .270. youngest always a muzzy. Pawn shops can be a real good place and always negotiable. Since you have no experience with other rifles, take a friend that does have a lot of experience, especially pawn shop shopping.
Ruger is an excellent choice. If you decide on a muzzleloader, also find someone that shoots often to help you.

AveryPC

Honestly on a $600 budget get BOTH. Don't need anything fancy or long range shooting. Cheap Mossberg atr in a suitable caliber and a cheap traditions muzzleloader could both be had for under $600 together.
Didn't even think of that option. I also did not realize that there were quite a few low-cost muzzleloaders available.

Carlos

I'd recommend a Savage Axis 2, or a Ruger American for the rifle.

As posted, you should be able to get a rifle and a MZ for around $600 total... and then maybe pickup a couple of scopes around here for a bargain.

utvolsfan77

If you look around, you can find a new Savage Axis II bare for around $325. Walmart sells the Axis II XP in common calibers, 6.5 Creedmoor, .270 Win, .308 Win, .30-06, etc., for $399 all day long and it comes with an entry level scope, usually a 3-9x40 Busnell or a Weaver Kaspa. You can catch it on sale for even less. Most stores here in east TN have major sales in August, and I know of a few guys getting new rifles at Walmart for as little as $250 during these sales.

deerfever

I would suggest the Mossberg Patriot rifle with the LBA trigger. I have one in a 243 and it shoots like a dream. Other calibers are available but the trigger is very similar to the accu trigger on my savage 308. Excellent trigger! Savage makes great deer rifles also but not all come with the accu trigger. You couldn't go wrong with either but I would want that type trigger! CVA Wolf is a muzzleloader that shoots great and should be under 200. As others have said you should be able to get both. Good luck!

CHRIS WILSON

Many years back, one use to be able to find some decent deals on firearms at pawn shops but those days are pretty much gone. I use to love cruising through the local pawn shops every so often to see what they might have but the last several years have seen them asking some crazy prices for used rifles and shotguns. I rarely visit the pawn shops anymore these days. I'd either buy new or keep an eye on on the classifieds here and pickup something from a reputable member. As some have mentioned, if you're not necessarily needing something really high dollar, the Ruger American and Savage Axis series can be found at some good price points and are pretty good rifles at their price points. Of the two, I lean more towards the Ruger. As far as muzzleloaders go, Traditions makes a decent lower priced muzzleloader in their Buck Stalker series. My brothers been using one for a few seasons now. It's not fancy but it has served him really well. The CVA Wolf is another one to look at. I believe it does run a bit more than the Traditions Buck Stalker but it's a little better quality in my experience. Good luck in your search.

Latest posts