Loaded or Unloaded Rifle when Dark

Omega

How many of you climb a tree with a loaded rifle?
When I used a climber I would, it would be across the top portion of the stand while I climbed, did it for 20+ years until I started using a permanent stand. The weapon was on safe, but it was loaded. I would always load and unload my weapon at my vehicle.

Hduke86

I have rounds in the magazine but not one in the chamber. And I take the round out of the chamber before climbing down.

Once out of the stand, I put the round back in the chamber for my still hunt out. Then round comes back out of the chamber before loading gun in transport vehicle.
Same way I do it and I don't see a difference in a magazine being loaded and one not in the chamber compared to a muzzleloader being loaded but the "primer" not in the gun and considered "unloaded".

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I use a line to pull my rifle up after climbing and lower it before going down. I leave rounds in the magazine with the chamber empty. I've heard of people getting a shot at a deer while in mid-climb but I haven't tried going up or down with the rifle and the opportunity has presented itself to me at times (if I had my rifle in hand).

Edited to add that I use a line for pulling rifle up and lowering...

Last edited:

Ski

Has anybody ever known somebody who got fined for loading too early? If so, what were the circumstances? I've never heard of it happening to anyone who wasn't also charged with night hunting. IMO it's not a charge to hang hats on, but rather mostly a secondary charge to pile onto legit criminals. No game warden is hiding behind your tree stand so he can ticket you if he hears a round chambered before the clock says it's OK.

Madbowh

The way that is written means you cannot possess a rifle with ammunition prior to 30 minutes for sunrise. If you want to be really specific, this means that you cannot walk in to your stand prior to 30 minutes. So you cannot be in your tree before shooting light. If you read this word for word
That is interesting. And I 100% agree. It states you are not allowed to even be in possession.

So I shot deer at say 45 minutes before 30 minutes after sunset I only have 45 minutes to get down and go drop my gun off at the truck then go back and look or just leave my gun at my stand so I'm not in possession of it and go look for my deer. Right........ it's so exhausting and discouraging the way things are these days.

The way that reads gun and ammo even separated they technically can cite you. Gun in hand ammo in backpack they still could your in possession.

Madbowh

I have a bad habit of this, idk why just a bad habit I picked up. I really shouldn't either had a buddy up in Scott County about 25 year ago die from this exact thing.... pulling a muzzleloader up a tree while fully loaded, I still don't know what exactly made the gun go off.

BSK

I have a bad habit of this, idk why just a bad habit I picked up. I really shouldn't either had a buddy up in Scott County about 25 year ago die from this exact thing.... pulling a muzzleloader up a tree while fully loaded, I still don't know what exactly made the gun go off.
First, my rifles do not have a round in the chamber when I climb into or out of my ladder stand, and my MZ does not have a cap on it. That said - and I'm going to take a lot of heat for this - I ALWAYS carry my gun into the stand over my shoulder instead of pulling it up with a rope. Over my shoulder (usually crossways diagonally across my back) the barrel is beyond/above my head. If I fall and somehow the gun goes off, the muzzle is beyond my body and pointed away. If I drop a rifle being pulled up by a rope, possible the gun hits butt first and goes off with the barrel pointed right at me up in the stand.

I know pulling up a rifle by a rope is pounded into our heads for safety, but in my opinion, that is a lot less safe than over my shoulder.

Remi

I always pull my guns up butt first. I lower my guns barrel first, I hunt with a taped muzzle so I'm not worried about something obstructing the bore when it touches down.

If my rope breaks my gun sticks in the dirt and I go home and clean it. Mine are always on a cold chamber when being raised or lowered.

Last edited:

Gravey

First, my rifles do not have a round in the chamber when I climb into or out of my ladder stand, and my MZ does not have a cap on it. That said - and I'm going to take a lot of heat for this - I ALWAYS carry my gun into the stand over my shoulder instead of pulling it up with a rope. Over my shoulder (usually crossways diagonally across my back) the barrel is beyond/above my head. If I fall and somehow the gun goes off, the muzzle is beyond my body and pointed away. If I drop a rifle being pulled up by a rope, possible the gun hits butt first and goes off with the barrel pointed right at me up in the stand.

I know pulling up a rifle by a rope is pounded into our heads for safety, but in my opinion, that is a lot less safe than over my shoulder.
I'll take heat with you because this is how I climb into a ladder stand or shooting house too.

Snake

Too many boogers in the woods I'm going in loaded . If I climb I'll unload the chamber . If you carry do you carry with your weapon unloaded ? You ever tried to fumble through a backpack while somethings charging you ? No way you'll get it loaded . I'm like FLTENNHUNTER1 I'll pay the fine if caught but mine will be loaded .

megalomaniac

Always empty chamber with loaded magazine on the way to stand. Chamber a round after in the stand. Unload chamber before climbing down.

While still hunting from the ground, locked and loaded... unless I'm hunting with another person. In that case, I'm still hunting with a full magazine, but empty chamber.

2w ago Moose hunting, my buddy didn't feel comfortable with me having an empty chamber while stalking because of grizzlies. I didn't feel comfortable crashing through alders with a round in the chamber and him behind me. I'd rather be eaten by a grizzly than accidently shoot my friend.

Lt.Dan

I've done it both ways. For me, I find it easier to get in the stand and then pull the rifle up. But your reply got me to thinking. How many people pull and lower the gun barrel up vs. barrel down. I pull and lower mine with the barrel up, I guess that's why I always unloaded it. I have a thing about loaded weapons pointing at me. Unloaded, not so much.

Last edited:

Lt.Dan

Too many boogers in the woods I'm going in loaded . If I climb I'll unload the chamber . If you carry do you carry with your weapon unloaded ? You ever tried to fumble through a backpack while somethings charging you ? No way you'll get it loaded . I'm like FLTENNHUNTER1 I'll pay the fine if caught but mine will be loaded .
The beauty of being a concealed permit holder. Legally allowed to carry it concealed or open and fully loaded day or night. This is my new rig. Makes it easy to get when mamma bear has me on my back about to rip my throat open. Boom! Six in the chest and one in the head for good measure. Yes, it's a 7 shot .357 magnum.

20230315_174952.jpg

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I've done it both ways. For me, I find it easier to get in the stand and then pull the rifle up. But your reply got me to thinking. How many people pull and lower the gun barrel up vs. barrel down. I pull and lower mine with the barrel up, I guess that's why I always unloaded it. I have a thing about loaded weapons pointing at me. Unloaded, not so much.
That is mainly why I use the line to raise and lower my rifle as well. It's just easier to mess with the rifle after I'm settled. My wife made me promise I'd wear a harness years ago even when using a ladder stand; I still feel obligated to do it. This adds to the hassle.

Snake

The beauty of being a concealed permit holder. Legally allowed to carry it concealed or open and fully loaded day or night. This is my new rig. Makes it easy to get when mamma bear has me on my back about to rip my throat open. Boom! Six in the chest and one in the head for good measure. Yes, it's a 7 shot .357 magnum.

View attachment 199140
Watch it a deer is fixing to jump you 😁

Latest posts