New member with a great recipe from Louisiana....

Jameson

Being from Louisiana, most of my cooking is Gumbo based. I shot my first deer this year, and incorporated it into a great recipe. Try it if you like. (Also, you can add squirrel and rabbit and never know its in there)

Gumbo:
In a crock pot, start 4 cups water with 2 tbsp garlic salt, half a chopped onion, 1 pound any part venison, and 2 or 3 chicken thighs (cheap dark meat).

After they cook for about 5 hours and are falling apart, keep 1 cup of the water/juice, and seperate the meat. Discard all other stuff.

In the crockpot, start a fresh batch of 2 cups water, all pulled meat, and the 1 cup of juice. Add in half pound of sliced link polka keilbasa link sausage or smoke sausage or shrimp (your choice). Add a whole diced onion, half a green pepper diced, and if you like, fresh or frozen non breaded okra. A half can of diced tomotatos wont hurt either.

Once all is cooked after 3 hours on high, make a Rue. A rue is 2 tblsp of crisco in a medium high skillet and slowly add flower till smooth and dark brown. Add flower until it is thick enough to look like glue not letting it burn. Add all of this to the crockpot and stir. It will thicken it and make it officially gumbo.

NOTE: If you have bay leaves, add these the whole way. Also, add Tabasco to taste while cooking. Also, Gumbo means "everthing". Add whatever you like. I add corn sometimes, and other vegies. It tastes great and is filling.

Latest posts