New deer gun?

Deerhunter

Lots of variables there, depends mostly on what type of ranges you are shooting and what you already have. I currently hunt with 308, 7mm-08, 6.8spc, 35 Rem, and rarely 30-06. Lots of good choices and you can hardly go wrong with any of them, good luck and let's see some pics when you buy something.

Jon54

A 458 Mag won't made a deer anymore dead than a 270. Keep what you have and spend the $ on a trigger jog or other improvements to improve accuracy. I've been shooting a Ruger 270 since the early '90s. I was given a Browning Abolt 7 mag and it simply can't replace my 270.

Ladys man

I have a Marlin 45/70 love and never get rid off and savage 308 bought for my wife but I use it a lot wen I hunt west tn I think if I could have another and will but I'd get either another model 70 270 (killed my first deer with) or a 7mm mag

PillsburyDoughboy

mike243":2xh3fuvx said:
A 270 doesn't lose any thing to a 7mm08 or a 243 if you like to have more accuracy for the cheapest bang and will lay a deer down a longs says out.old school a 6mm but lees choices for over the counterammo. Ask Mr big about the round he pretty much will tell you like it is. I love my smokeless muzzle loader these days but that's different direction

I like your way of thinking mike

If I were to make a suggestion it would be for a ultralite 6.5 Creedmore or some other substitute short action caliber .Those are just some of the handiest guns on the planet.

In a different direction one of Marlin 45/70 gbl Guide guns topped with a Leupold Hogg scope or comparable low power variable 1x4 or 2x7 scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I believe that a Tikka is probably the best thing going for the coin right now. That or one of the Ruger American Rifles.

Flavor---7mm08

PillsburyDoughboy

WORM82":1ev4vf70 said:
I'm a 30.06 man but have always wanted a 280 for some reason?

He already has a .270 a .280 and a 30:06 really are different caliber Yes! But really they are on the Same sheet of music.

Another thought might be some sort of auto loafing .223 .308'or .300 blackout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redblood

Ken45":2v1hx043 said:
I wouldn,t trade my smokeless 45 for any center fire

muzzleloaders have their place....its called muzzleloader season. i have a smokeless muzzleloader to, but i have no inclination to carry that primitive think in a season where i could be toting my limber. i guess the good news, you can own as many as u want

7mminatree

I've own several calibers, but the older I get, the one that comes out of my safe the most for deer season, is a 16 inch barreled Savage bolt gun in .308 that tips the scale just over 6lbs.scope and all. It's all about weight for me. And a short barrel .308 gives up nothing.

GOODWIN

As stated previously. I'd get something your .270 does not do well. Go bigger or smaller. .243 or 6mm for varmint/deer gun or some suggested Lever 45/70. That's on my list. As you can see everyone likes different things. Exercise you're right to own as many as you can...

jetwrnch

My vote is to get reloading equipment for 270 and shoot the heck out of it. Your 270 covers a lot of needs. It can be loaded with light bullets for varmint or heavy for elk. Reloading also lets you really get to know your rifle. "Beware the man with only one rifle. Chances are he knows how to use it." Ammo is getting more expensive and some calibers hard to find. The new rifle is the easy part. Next comes optics, ammo, sighting in etc. That said, if you want a new toy get a brush gun. 30-30, 44 mag revolver etc. JMHO.

Latest posts