New deer gun?

dirtyhands

I just bought a 45-70 it will be my favorite gun for a long time. I absolutely love it. I hunt in the thick of TN never getting the opportunity for long shots so I don't really need a long range rifle. Plus it's nice to have a gun capable of shutting down a big bear just as easily as a deer.

TNReb

I would decide on what gun I liked first (length, weight, size) then worry about caliber. Find a gun that will fit more hunting situations where you won't use the .270.

If I had a .270 and were adding one, I would look for a smaller short action rifle.

tsc

If I was told to go put together the best non custom Tennessee deer rifle I would get a Savage weather warrior Model 10 in 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX3 1.75X6 with leupold low rings/bases and a 1 1/4 nylon slip sling. I guess that would cover 95% of what Tn. has to offer.

vixty

I started the same way. First year hunting was with a browning a bolt 270. I then realized that I never hunt anywhere where I could even take a shot longer than 100-120 yards so I ended up getting a marlin 45/70. I loved the caliber but not really the gun. I wish I had gotten a browning blr 450 marlin instead. Anyways, with this year being my 4th year I decided to take the middle route and had a tikka rebored to a 35 whelen and the barrel cut to 16". I absolutely love the gun and with my reloads it shoots a 250gr bullet sub moa at 100. I think this will be my go to gun for a long time, unless or course I find some kind of field to hunt where the 270 range is needed.

mike243

A 270 doesn't lose any thing to a 7mm08 or a 243 if you like to have more accuracy for the cheapest bang and will lay a deer down a longs says out.old school a 6mm but lees choices for over the counterammo. Ask Mr big about the round he pretty much will tell you like it is. I love my smokeless muzzle loader these days but that's different direction

Latest posts