New CWD map shows significant expansion of CWD Zone

grandjunctionhunter

I would imagine a large part of the low rate, is the fact that they prioritized testing in the high risk zone north of where the previous positive CWD results were. We've had two tested in Hardeman, 1 positive, 1 negative...50%. Also have killed fewer this year not wanting to eat the meat.

Could be wrong here, just my 2 cents.

MickThompson

Twra also manned mandatory check stations outside of Fayette and Hardeman counties this year- the emphasis was on the high risk and newly-positive counties to determine what the extent of spread was. Even then, it's relatively few deer in those counties. I'd say it was there last year but not detected.

JCDEERMAN

MickThompson":buhy3rs8 said:
Twra also manned mandatory check stations outside of Fayette and Hardeman counties this year- the emphasis was on the high risk and newly-positive counties to determine what the extent of spread was. Even then, it's relatively few deer in those counties. I'd say it was there last year but not detected.
My TWRA buddy came from East TN and was working a checking station in Parsons on behalf of the TWRA CWD effort. I loved that, because it was directly in between our place and the CWD zone. I wonder how much the Tennessee River would factor into the spread, in regards to it providing some type of barrier factor?

Don'tDrinkTinks

In other news it looks like I'll know if the deer meat I'm picking up tonight is worth keeping in about a month.

I'm sticking to Kentucky next year. I told myself I was going with that plan when all this crap started but I'm a junkie. lol.

BigAl

Thanks for posting. Good to see an update. Still wish the map had a little more detail and wish the red dots were a little smaller. It looks like there's a positive close to where I live (Fayette Co), but its hard to tell on where I hunt (also Fayette Co). Either way, just a matter of time.

Tiny

Am curious bout MS any updates there along the Border of our CWD zone ??

Hopefully nothing new will pop up on ours.
but looking at those 2 far dots likely will unfortunately .
Speaking of new countys ..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

westtntoms

Tiny":233frgez said:
Am curious bout MS any updates there along the Border of our CWD zone ??

Hopefully nothing new will pop up on ours.
but looking at those 2 far dots likely will unfortunately .
Speaking of new countys ..

Not sure how current this is, but last I saw was 7 cases in Marshall county and 9 in Benton county since Feb 2018 have been confirmed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tiny

Thanks .. am just curious..n had to see if anybody here knew

Mike Belt

Not sure what county but my son works with some guys that hunt Ms. He said they've killed 23 deer off their land this year with 12 testing positive.

CBU93

docpoco":3m20o8b3 said:
I was really blown away to learn that checking a deer is optional in Mississippi. And apparently Kansas as well.

Who knew.

A lot of us. Tennessee is different in many areas of wildlife management...some good some not so good. Very different culture amongst the hunters of TN as well.

Latest posts