Need rod advise from the fishing pros

AllOutdoors

I hope I haven't been drug in to this. :eek:I just wanted to offer options. Rods and their construction, length, action, price, and maker can be argued til the cows come home. With no true winner. What will make any rod superior over the other is the one that the buyer is happiest with . This usually comes with trial and error. Anyway as far as the BPS cranking stick, it is no heavier than any of the other BPS rods in that price range. They are much lighter than an Ugly Stik. ;)

Living2Hunt

AllOutdoors said:
I hope I haven't been drug in to this. :eek:I just wanted to offer options. Rods and their construction, length, action, price, and maker can be argued til the cows come home. With no true winner. What will make any rod superior over the other is the one that the buyer is happiest with . This usually comes with trial and error. Anyway as far as the BPS cranking stick, it is no heavier than any of the other BPS rods in that price range. They are much lighter than an Ugly Stik. ;)

i just came from bass pro and looked at that rod you were talking about, its pretty nice. it is way lighter than a ugly stick, still not as light as all graphite; but a good feeling rod. let me know how it does for you if you got one.

Living2Hunt

Swamphunter said:
You are right. I should have said that I don't lose near as many fish since I switched to glass. The way I stated it I sounded like I completely stopped losing fish, and that's not the case. You aren't the only one with pictures. I have a few myself. If anyone is looking like an idiot it is you. Your improper grammar, misspelled words, and lack of punctuation is unreadable. I actually should have stayed away from this thread anyway since he asked for opinions "from the pros" and I am not a professional tournament fisherman. I also only carry 6-8 rods total so I can't possibly catch as many fish as someone that carries 5 rods just for cranking. :crazy:

please, im writing all from a phone. i dont take the time to proof read averything. i figured you will be smart enough to figure it out. i dont take the time to fix mistakes. i have 4 years of college, im not worried about my education and grammer. but since you like to quote pros. out of all the pros in history only 1/2 graduated highschool, much less college. so that has nothing to do with anything. with that said, i only carry 8 rods. i crank mostly so i have 5 rods for that, one finesse rod, one jig, and a carolina rig. so whats your point? also maybe you should have not given you opinion on this thread since any pro knows you cant use a glass rod for all cranking. and since we are being cocky, i guarantee i can catch more fish and would love to prove it! i love some compitition! since your good, come fish our riverside marine tournaments this year. or maybe a flippers weds night or sunday morining. we would love to have as many people as we can! over and out, have a great day! :)

turkeyhunter64

wait wait wait..did not want to start anything on here about rods. Just need some knowledge. I fish 3 lakes 99% of the time. Dale Hollow, Centerhill and Great Falls. I catch a lot of fish cranking but loose way more than I land. I throw the bandit and strike king mid running models most of the time. I like what I am hearing about the glass rods and will look at the BPS rods when I get down there. What is the difference between a fast tip and and extra fast tip?

AllOutdoors

Turkeyhunter64 What kind of line are you using? Also try replacing your hooks with mustad triple grip hooks. They keep fish buttoned for me alot better than most of the standard hooks.

Living2Hunt

Swamphunter said:
HUNTFUN07 said:
i guarantee i can catch more fish

You just proved what I already knew. What kind of idiot would guarantee he could catch more fish than someone he had never met or heard of? Thanks for the invite but I can find plenty of tournament action here in West TN and North MS. I don't need to drive that far to fish fruit jar tournaments. Good day and good fishing.

its called confidence! you have to know you can do something if you want to have chance to do it. catching fish is not luck! fish can be caught everyday of the year if you know what to do. the best way to bring the best out of an angler is a little competition. understanding what fish do and having the right equipment is what its about. there is no such thing as "the fish didnt bite today". what lakes and tournaments do you fish? i dont mind traveling to fish a good tournament

Living2Hunt

Swamphunter said:
HUNTFUN07 said:
catching fish is not luck! fish can be caught everyday of the year if you know what to do. there is no such thing as "the fish didnt bite today".

I agree 100%. I learned this when I first started fishing tournaments. Some days I would get skunked but there were always some big sacks brought in. Sometimes I would have a great day and think everyone else was too, only to find out at weigh that the majority of boats struggled. That's when I learned somebody is going to figure it out everyday. Now, when it is tough, I remind myself that somewhere on the lake somebody is killing them.

EXACTLY!

Living2Hunt

Swamphunter said:
HUNTFUN07 said:
its called confidence!

I got plenty of that, but I'm not stupid enough to guarantee I can out fish anybody and everybody. I've never seen Old Hickory. It would be foolish for me to think I could show up there sight unseen and out fish someone with any skill at all that has fished the lake their whole life.

sure you can! its no different than where you fish. bass are still bass! take the pros for example, they would not fish all those touranments if they didnt think they couldnt outfish everyone there! its a mind set they all have. i ssid i can guarantee i can catch more fish. thats what cranking does, provides alot of fish. not only numbers, but big fish too. but however you are catching fish where you live isnt any different than any other lakes. i have a cabin on ky lake and spend aolt of time there also. i catch bass the same way i do on old hickory, i just aply those techniques to that lake. bass dont change they way they eat and react to baits. once you have figured it out, you got it. so if you can catch bass, then you can catch them anywhere. i just used old hickory as a example, thinking you have fished. it is an advantage for people to fish there home lakes. but with that said, most pros that win the tournaments are not fishing there home lake.

Living2Hunt

Swamphunter said:
HUNTFUN07 said:
what lakes and tournaments do you fish?

I fish the Mississippi River system, the Tennessee River system (Kentucky Lake to Pickwick), Sardis, Enid, and Reelfoot. I haven't fished one particular tournament trail since Boats,Etc. went under. I just fish individual tournaments here and there. This year I am fishing Peanut Craft Lures Tournament Trail and the Triton Owners tournament at Kentucky Lake for sure.

love ky and pickwick! reelfoot i struggle on for bass. do well on crappie. but a real shallow lake and cant seem to catch anything over 4 pounds. my uncle lives in temptinville and try to see him once a year. i went to ut martin for my fisheries degree. love the area! now rivers are difinately different than lakes, but sometimes easier. especially when fish spawn! triton tournament is always a good turn out. you should look at fishing the strike king tournament in may at ky! alot of fun! havent heard about the peanut one?

Living2Hunt

Swamphunter said:
HUNTFUN07 said:
love ky and pickwick! reelfoot i struggle on for bass. do well on crappie. but a real shallow lake and cant seem to catch anything over 4 pounds.

I haven't done much crappie fishing at Reelfoot but I love to bass fish there. It is full of 3-5 pounders. It is my kind of fishing. I grew up on the MS River and my favorite kind of fishing is throwing a big spinnerbait or flippin 1/2 ounce jigs around trees in shallow water. Reelfoot is made for that kind of stuff. It does get aggravating going from pace to place though. Even if you know the boat trails you will hit some stuff.

ha! i tore up my fist lower unit there! lets just say i was folling the gps and didnt see the tree sticking out of the water! bam, 4800 dollars gone. well 250, i had insurance. but still wasnt a good day! yeah, it is tough for me to throw 200 series bandits there, i went to 100 series. that square bill is good there. i usually just throw a shakey head. it takes patience fishing that lake, atleast for me. let me know if you ever are around old hickory, i will show you the lake. its a better crankbait lake then spinnerbait for me. but they love those jigs. boat stays ready, just let me know.