First Fly Rod

XCR-2

Bought my first fly rod today. I've fished all my life but never really fly fished. To be honest I've always made fun of them under my breath because it seems they spend more time at the truck tieing on than in the river fishing. Figured I would try it out and see where it goes. Now I have to learn the language of hoppers, droppers, and floppers I guess. Didn't wanna spend a ton so just to start out I bought a TFO 9ft 5wt black label. Probably use it for bass more than trout but we shall see.

Setterman

Solid first set up. I primarily fly fish in the warmer months and spin fish when it's cold. I also am not one who spends much time dicking around in the parking lot lol.

bowhunterfanatic

Solid first set up. I primarily fly fish in the warmer months and spin fish when it's cold. I also am not one who spends much time dicking around in the parking lot lol.
You clearly spend all your time at home dicking around 😂😂. Sorry, I couldn't resist! Congrats on the upcoming baby girl. There is nothing like them.

BigCityBubba

do yourself a favor and get a few popping flies and go fish some bream on the bed... crazy fun
Willow fly hatches starting around mid June on Kentucky lake. Its a blast. You will catch tons of bluegill, some bass, and occasionally you will have a really nice small mouth hit your bluegill as you are fighting them in. You will get to fight them for a while before they let go.

Last edited:

Wooden Arrow

i love getting into the white bass when they are running here w/a flyrod. plus, a 5 lb and up hybrid or rockfish is always possible too on the big streamers i throw. i really need a reel with a drag doing that though...

Rebel

do yourself a favor and get a few popping flies and go fish some bream on the bed... crazy fun
Could not agree more! Best fishing fun I have ever had was popping bugs over a bunch of Bream beds! I've flyfished over most of the USA. Even fly fished in the salt water flats. Best time ever was when I was a teenager fishing for bream with a popping bug in Louisiana!