Fly rod for strippers

Chiflyguy

First of all, I probably spelled it wrong.
Stripers?
Anyway, any of you guys chase them with a flyrod?
Got my boat at Norris 20 minutes away and thinking of giving it a go.
Got a 9 wt. St.Croix.
Thinking a large Clouser?

Setterman

8 or 9 weight is fine. As far as flies especially for lake dwelling fish need to be fairly realistic. I'd go look at the Fly Shop website and get ideas for flies. Or call Fly South in Nashville and get their opinions.

I've fished quite a bit for them below the dams and clousers work great down there, but the fish are in heavy current.

@7mm08 has a world of striper and stripper experience so hopefully he weighs in 🤣

7mm08

From years ago……

We chased them A LOT in the 90's & early 2000's , and then I got addicted to redfish.

My best was 22#, my fishing buddy Dean 's was 30#! The best evening we had ( since we both worked days) was 24 stripers in the boat , all on flies.

Clauser's or weighted Decievers tied like rainbow trout or just plain old grey & white like the threadfin they eat works best.

Two things we used was HEAVY SINKING lines and sometimes it was like Muskie fishing, yiu cast a lot. Cast, count, strip, repeat. Not catching after counting to ten , count to 15, and so on.

Lastly, yes we fished with one generator on, but safer and better to go RIGHT when the generators cut OFF. The fish have been feeding and are in the mood , and you can easily get a fly down at no current instead of 4000cfs. Good luck.

1684417370758.jpeg

Attachments

• FD34FADE-7B68-4A4D-AA3E-411B7EAE5EF3.jpeg
    FD34FADE-7B68-4A4D-AA3E-411B7EAE5EF3.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 41

Chiflyguy

From years ago……

We chased them A LOT in the 90's & early 2000's , and then I got addicted to redfish.

My best was 22#, my fishing buddy Dean 's was 30#! The best evening we had ( since we both worked days) was 24 stripers in the boat , all on flies.

Clauser's or weighted Decievers tied like rainbow trout or just plain old grey & white like the threadfin they eat works best.

Two things we used was HEAVY SINKING lines and sometimes it was like Muskie fishing, yiu cast a lot. Cast, count, strip, repeat. Not catching after counting to ten , count to 15, and so on.

Lastly, yes we fished with one generator on, but safer and better to go RIGHT when the generators cut OFF. The fish have been feeding and are in the mood , and you can easily get a fly down at no current instead of 4000cfs. Good luck.

View attachment 179153
Thanks for the info!
I was thinking of finding active fish busting schools of bait and beating the water to a frothy mess.

rsimms

I'm sure your question got more views based upon the Thread Name, but a far smaller ratio of straight answers. ;)

My suggestion is anything that mimics a 4-to-5 inch threadfin shad should catch a striper. Just be sure (A) to have strong tippet, stronger than you would initially expect. That very first initial hit & run of a striper is the one most likely to snap you off. (B) Tape your fingers because it generally requires a LOT of casting and stripping that streamer.

Good luck!

Latest posts