Rod Limits

mike243

Anybody remember back in the day you were only allowed 1 rod unless you had a sportsman license then you could have 3? it sure has changed.

TNCharlie

This has been 6 or 8 years ago. I was crappie fishing with a guide and we were trolling 5 or 6 rods. We saw a lone fisherman that was running a spider rig of what appeared to be at least 12 rods. I commented about the legality of that and the guide laughed. He said, "Man, they did away with that 3 rod rule years ago." So I don't know when it changed but I was not aware of it.

TNReb

There used to be some specific lakes and bodies of water that limited the number of rods to 3 - maybe parts of the Caney/Center Hill/Dale Hollow. I'm not aware of any that still have those regulations in place.

Spurhunter

Sardis Lake in MS (and others) has a 4 rod limit for crappie and only 2 hooks per rod. Those rules were made back when they thought spider rigging was going to destroy the crappie population. I just hope they are paying as much attention to what Livescope, guiding, and greed are doing now.

Biggun4214

Growing up on Dale Hollow in the 70's, point fishing for walleye and smallmouth, it was not unusual for a fisherman to have 8-10 rods out. If there were multiple people nothing was ever said unless someone didn't have a license.

Latest posts