Need rod advise from the fishing pros

turkeyhunter64

I have never really had "nice" quality grade rods. Buy most of mine from walmart. Last year i messed a little with a carrot stick and it was amazing how much different they were. I want to buy me two rods. One to crank bait with and one to use for my spinning rod for top water with and grub fish. I want to keep it around 100. Looked at the skeet reese rods today they were nice but the only cranking one was an s glass. I guess that is better from cranking??? Any suggestions as i am rod quality stupid and need some help.

TH64

tophat

I have falcon's and st croix.I also have a brass pro cranking rod and love it just as much as my other rods.But thats just me.Try a few out in the store's and see how they feel and go from their.

BOZ

Shimano rods great feel, light weight, and lifetime warranty! Other than that Bass Pro Pro Qualifier is one of my favorite. I think shimano is the best bang for buck with qaulity, price and around here in cookeville the warranty is no hassle at the outdoor juction!

redcorn

I second the shimano suggestion. I think the compre models are in your price range, but I would recommend saving a little extra and getting a crucial, at least for the spinning rod. I would spend more on the multi purpose spinning rod, and less on the cranking rod. Bass pro does have some affordable, decent quality cranking rods. Their "crankin stiks" often on sale.

Kimberman

I have 3 Gloomis rods, 2 Shimano Crucials, a St Croix, and 2 older Falcons. All are good rods, my only complaint is the Shimano rods are a little fragile, but they do have a lifetime warranty that I have had to use.

AllOutdoors

Bass Pro Shop Bionic Blade is hard to beat for the money.79.95. They have an updated model now that is lighter. The older ones have worked great for me. I have 7 of the 7 footers.You can catch them on sale at times for 49.95.

A

Anonymous

I have mostly all Kistler rods in all diff. lengths.life time warranty.Just cause I needed some user spec. rods on Ky,Lake.And found a guy that I get them from very cheap.

But I also have many of thE BASS PRO rods.The extreme rods I've had now for 5-6 yrs.1 I broke the tip ..now repaired and for sale? But the other one is still working great.

I bought 6 combos in the bass pro quailfers rod/reels for $59.99 6 yrs ago and still all work great.

Right now I need to find 2 cranking rods really cheap in 7,6" m/h actions for cranking on Ky.Lake.

Rowdy

Don't know what you consider "cheap", but US BASS located on the TRACE, just up from Hy79 has had some good deals from time to time.

tophat

proxs said:
I have mostly all Kistler rods in all diff. lengths.life time warranty.Just cause I needed some user spec. rods on Ky,Lake.And found a guy that I get them from very cheap.

But I also have many of thE BASS PRO rods.The extreme rods I've had now for 5-6 yrs.1 I broke the tip ..now repaired and for sale? But the other one is still working great.

I bought 6 combos in the bass pro quailfers rod/reels for $59.99 6 yrs ago and still all work great

Right now I need to find 2 cranking rods really cheap in 7,6" m/h actions for cranking on Ky.Lake.

You got a pm

fishboy1

Not sure if things have changed or not but....

Most all graphite rod blanks are made at 1 or 2 factories. ( or were about 10 yrs ago)

So its really all in the finish of the rod, and the way the action is set on the blank. (taper etc..)

My brother in law was plunking down $200+ for a rod until he met a custom rod builder who was buying the same blanks as the brand name rods and hand finishing them for about half the price.

I guess my point is not to use price as a guide. Best way to buy a rod is to try it out first or borrow one from a buddy and see if you like it for the type of fishing you do.

It was a hoot to outfish my Brother in laws $185 G-loomis and $160 Calcutta with my $24 no name combo rod and a $40 shimano spinning reel.

B.D.

All Star makes great spinning rods - some of the best smallmouth rods on the market in my opinion. They are light but not TOO light, with just the right amount of backbone and a good fast action.

My baitcasting rods for bass fishing and light striper gear are mostly falcon rods.

G. Loomis makes their own proprietary graphite blends, and their top-end rods are some of the lightest and most sensitive out there. They make a great flyrod too if you're into fly fishing. I own three. The good G. Loomis rods are going to be out of your price range though.

bd

Living2Hunt

there are many good quality rods on the market today for 100 bucks. i like the st croix mojo bass. for crankbiats you dont have to use a glass rod. these graohites we have no day are extremely good! but a 7ft med action mod fast or med fast tip is best for all meduim to small crankbaits. and as far as your spinning rod for grubs and stuff, look for a 6ft 6'' to a 7' med action extra fast tip. fast tip will work too! agian the mojo bass rods are one of the best for the money. and they have a great warranty. good luck, and having the right rods make all the difference!

Living2Hunt

Swamphunter said:
You definitely want fiberglass for cranking.

not necessarily, (misspelled?) it all depends on what you want to do with it. a glass rod is not the best for a all around cranking rod. you have no backbone. it all depends on what you want to do with it. i have 5 crankbait rods that i throw every day and all are for different purposes. try throwing lipless around grass, you will lose your lure evertime you hang up. glass is great, but does have limitations. just got to figure out what you want to do. graphite and compostites are the best all around.

Living2Hunt

glass rod does help keep fish on, bc of the flex. no doubt about that! but i dont lose fish on graphite and compostite rods either. i believe thats on the person. i use glass rods for small to medium "billed" crankbaits. i use composite or graphite for the lipless so u can rip it out of grass. a deep cranking rod will bend big time and wear you out if you use glass. i use graphite. also glass rods are the heaviest rods made, so it will wear you out on a all day trip. i have one medium crankbait made out of glass and one of graphite. it just depends on what you use it for. its like saying use a 6foot 6inch meduim heavy rod for everything. i through crankbaits 90 percent of the time most of the year. there are one that work better for different situations. he wants one rod for crankbaits, if he gets a graphite, he can throw anything. and david fritts is a great crankbait fisherman, but i guarantee he dont use all glass.

double browtine

Kistler is the only rod ill ever use for bass fishing. I have a magnesium, Lta,and a steel. The steel you can get for about 69 bucks. Check simmons sporting goods store on ebay. I think bass pro in Nashville has them too but they are 100 bucks. The magnesium rods are awesome imo. The sensitivity and weight are worth the money.

AllOutdoors

For the dispute on the glass or graphite debate, BPS has answered the problem. Bass Pro Shop Crankin' Stick is a blend of graphite and fiberglass.....and volcanic rock :crazy:. They are light and have a good feel.70.00 bucks on line and you can catch them on sale a couple times a year.

Living2Hunt

Swamphunter said:
HUNTFUN07 said:
Swamphunter said:
You definitely want fiberglass for cranking.

not necessarily, (misspelled?) it all depends on what you want to do with it. a glass rod is not the best for a all around cranking rod. you have no backbone. it all depends on what you want to do with it. i have 5 crankbait rods that i throw every day and all are for different purposes. try throwing lipless around grass, you will lose your lure evertime you hang up. glass is great, but does have limitations. just got to figure out what you want to do. graphite and compostites are the best all around.

When I went to fiberglass for crankbaits per the advice of David Fritts I stopped losing fish on crankbaits. I'm no pro, but David knows just a little about crankbait fishing.

ok now your just trying to start crap. bc look hear you also said you dont lose fish! stop being a idiot. there is know one you can prove to that glass rods are the best all the time. i didnt say glass was not good, if it at the backbone and sensitivity and weight of graphite; then i would use all glass. but it dont, which does not make it the best all around. and as far as the bps composite rods ( half glass and half graphite) those are also good rods. its like the ugly stick, they have making them for years. there great rods but are heavy. and they are the number one selling rod of all time. everything i say is all facts, everything you say is true on glass; but not true that it is the best all around cranking rod. and the reason glass rods help keep fish on is bc it flexes and allows less tugg on the bait. the other reason ( why i use one) is that it allows the bait to have the most naturaral action. you lose fish bc of drag settings and not fighting fish the right way. i do lose some fish, but not very many. i got plenty of picture to prove it. so once again, quit trying to pick a fight, your really looking like an idiot.

Latest posts