Need recommendations on drop away rest

Crow Terminator

DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT buy a Hostage.

I bought the Hostage Pro for my bow and I MIGHT (key word) have had it on my bow about 3 weeks and the bottom brush was wore down to nothing. It wouldn't even hold an arrow up anymore. That is one $70 piece of crap if there ever was one. I'm not buying brushes every month.

The Biscuit or the QuickTune 360 are gonna be your best containment type rests.

As for drop aways...the jury is still out for me. I have a RipCord on my bow now but I'm actually considering going back to the LimbDriver.

LT4Jesus

I started with a Muzzy Zero Effect in 2003, switched for one year in 2006 to a Trophy Taker Shakey hunter, then switched back to an MZE. I don't see myself switching again.

Buck Assassin

Crow Terminator said:

I bought the Hostage Pro for my bow and I MIGHT (key word) have had it on my bow about 3 weeks and the bottom brush was wore down to nothing. It wouldn't even hold an arrow up anymore. That is one $70 piece of crap if there ever was one. I'm not buying brushes every month.
Ive got the standard version $30 on my bow and have shot well over 800 arrows off it and it is still in good shape.

UTGrad

Crow Terminator said:

The Biscuit or the QuickTune 360 are gonna be your best containment type rests.

As for drop aways...the jury is still out for me. I have a RipCord on my bow now but I'm actually considering going back to the LimbDriver.

How much do you shoot? How fast is your bow?

Hoss

I've been shooting the QAD hunter for like 3-4 years now. Never had a problem, with it not falling (but that could happen, it is mechanical). I do not use the Capture bar. Rich has a good point about the plastic launcher. I have never experienced a problem but that could be potential for one. A broken launcher pretty much ruins your whole day. Getting one to fall in time takes an extra step in the setup, but not too difficult to attain. Octane has come out with one that looks pretty good. I locks in the up position like the QAD (I really like that feature in a treestand) but it does have a metal launcher.

However, in another post I saw you have the Whisker Biscuit. Just stay with that for a while. It is a solid rest with a simple and proven track record. Don't tempt fate and add a bunch of things that may cause new problems. You are new to archery and enough things are going to make you scratch your head for a while. Be patient there is plenty of time to drive yourself crazy.

Crow Terminator

I use to shoot a bunch but when I had the Hostage Pro rest on my bow, I was averaging maybe 20-30 shots a day. That was the rest I put on the X-Force I had. At my setup it was shooting 310 fps with a 384 grain arrow. That's decently fast but ball park for most bows. The Hostage Pro I had, like I say it wouldn't even hold an arrow up when I took it off the bow. The bristles were just gone.

The thing that scares me about the drop aways, are that they can and do cause tuning problems in the bow that need corrected. Attaching anything to the cables will do that. You have to do some work to sort it out. Even just attaching the football thing with the RipCord will get your tuning/timing out of whack. That's what is drawing me back to the LimbDriver....it don't attach to the cables.

DWM

I use to use the whisker buscuit but switched to the rip cord. Will never go back. If you have perfect form the buscuit is fine but with all the contact any movement is amplified. The rip cord provides containment but with the rest up you cant be hitting the arrow on brush or the prongs could break. For me the rip cord is faster, quieter and more forgiving.

UTGrad

Crow Terminator said:
I use to shoot a bunch but when I had the Hostage Pro rest on my bow, I was averaging maybe 20-30 shots a day. That was the rest I put on the X-Force I had. At my setup it was shooting 310 fps with a 384 grain arrow. That's decently fast but ball park for most bows. The Hostage Pro I had, like I say it wouldn't even hold an arrow up when I took it off the bow. The bristles were just gone.

The thing that scares me about the drop aways, are that they can and do cause tuning problems in the bow that need corrected. Attaching anything to the cables will do that. You have to do some work to sort it out. Even just attaching the football thing with the RipCord will get your tuning/timing out of whack. That's what is drawing me back to the LimbDriver....it don't attach to the cables.

Thanks...your post here and other reviews helped in my final decision to get the WB

bobthebowhunter

Trophy Taker (Harder to tune)
Spot Hogg Whammy (Easier to tune)

I wouldn't mess with a drop away until you learn a little more about how to tune them. It took me a lot of time, anger, and frustration. That is the last thing you need when first starting out.

Latest posts