How many trad guys are on here?

Iglow

This is my favorite, a Howard Hill Tembo. 62" 40lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpeg
    IMG_0395.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 25

tonybart55

Got my trad first kill with a recurve last season and my first longbow kill this season. Between the last year and this year I've taken my compound out once. I like carrying the recurve or longbow out to the woods much more than the compound.

Recurve:
Palmer Classic 62", 62# @31" (~59# at my 30")
Accmos Arrows w/ 350 grains upfront (~735gr TAW)

Longbow:
Baltic Bows Hybrid Longbow 62", 47# @28" (~51# at 30")
Accmos Arrows w/ 250 grains upfront (thinking the TAW is ~600gr)

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7210.jpeg
    IMG_7210.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 16

tonybart55

I've only killed a doe and it was with my Hoyt Buffalo 55@28
The one in the pic is what I'm using now. BJ Thunderchild 49@28. I missed a 140" 10pt in Ky on this hunt the pic was taken. Nov 5th I believe
Would love to have a Big Jim bow one day. Got a list of bows from custom bowyers I'd like but it's all about convincing the boss lady to let me get them 😂

Wooden Arrow

current longbow shooter here. i went from hickory flatbows as a kid to fiberglass recurves to compounds, back to recurves, and now longbows. but i'm about to hang them up and devote my next few years to a bamboo-backed osage i got from Vinson Miner several years ago. and i've found some osage growing down in Hawkins County nearby...:cool:

Laserman1

Would love to have a Big Jim bow one day. Got a list of bows from custom bowyers I'd like but it's all about convincing the boss lady to let me get them 😂
Convince? Just take 1 bow out of the rack, place it in the back of your closet, put the new bow in its place. Most women see number of bows or guns, not how they look.

GhillieBow

Any of you gentlemen have a suggestion for someone's first recurve? I love my compound, but I could see trad bow being even more fun for me. There just seems to be a ton of options although I know I want something more compact. I would start low but would eventually want to work my way up to 50 lbs for hunting. My compound is set to 70 lbs

Wooden Arrow

i wish you were closer. i'd drive and loan you a couple to try out. most of mine are 45 to 55 lb draw. i got vast majority of mine on ebay, a few through trades. if you start with a 45#er, it will suffice for deer if you put an arrow and sharp broadhead in the right place...if you have no problems drawing your 70# compound, a 45 to 50 # recurve should not be insurmountable. just don't expect instant success. HOLDING at full draw is the sand in the works...

GhillieBow

i wish you were closer. i'd drive and loan you a couple to try out. most of mine are 45 to 55 lb draw. i got vast majority of mine on ebay, a few through trades. if you start with a 45#er, it will suffice for deer if you put an arrow and sharp broadhead in the right place...if you have no problems drawing your 70# compound, a 45 to 50 # recurve should not be insurmountable. just don't expect instant success. HOLDING at full draw is the sand in the works...
No problem man I'll probably find a shop in nashville to try some out. I bought my compound on Ebay good to know you can find trad bows on there as well. My biggest question is what makes a "Good" recurve? I don't mind shopping around until I find something worth hunting with.

tonybart55

Any of you gentlemen have a suggestion for someone's first recurve? I love my compound, but I could see trad bow being even more fun for me. There just seems to be a ton of options although I know I want something more compact. I would start low but would eventually want to work my way up to 50 lbs for hunting. My compound is set to 70 lbs
If you want to buy your own, I'd recommend something like the Black Hunter, can be had on Amazon for around $100.

If you're interested, I have a recurve bow for sale, it's an ILF (International Limb Fitment) riser with some limbs that pull to about 30ish # at 28" of draw. ILF is cool because you can swap out other ILF limbs from many different manufacturers for different weight limbs or difference styles, etc. I have it for sale for $150 and it's already boxed up, send me a PM if you're interested.

Wooden Arrow

any of the bigger brands are going to be "good" unless stored incorrectly IE limb twist, cracks. limb twist is easily fixed after you've done it a time or two. nearly anything ever built by Bear, Martin, and many others should give you decades of yeoman service. i'd hate to guess how many folks bought a Bear or Ben Pearson for first bows.

GhillieBow

If you want to buy your own, I'd recommend something like the Black Hunter, can be had on Amazon for around $100.

If you're interested, I have a recurve bow for sale, it's an ILF (International Limb Fitment) riser with some limbs that pull to about 30ish # at 28" of draw. ILF is cool because you can swap out other ILF limbs from many different manufacturers for different weight limbs or difference styles, etc. I have it for sale for $150 and it's already boxed up, send me a PM if you're interested.
I'll let you know about that! Thanks for letting me know, there's a member here that's getting rid of his old recurve so I'll probably check that out first.

GhillieBow

Cadiz, huh?i used to stop at the Knight & Hale place there on my way to Murray to visit relatives. pretty piece of country. i'd like to hunt LBL, but keep reading that the place is infested with ticks...i HATE ticks!:mad:
Permethrin kept them off me all season. And I was walking through brush/grass taller than me in August.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Cadiz, huh?i used to stop at the Knight & Hale place there on my way to Murray to visit relatives. pretty piece of country. i'd like to hunt LBL, but keep reading that the place is infested with ticks...i HATE ticks!:mad:
I still see Harold from time to time, folks don't get no better than those guys.
LBL does not do prescribed burns and therefore have lots of unnecessary pests. I use permethrin on my socks, pants, shirts, jackets and rain gear. 4 time a year, still have to be vigilant but so far it's worked for me.

TheLBLman

I keep saying im going to get one but haven't had the time to dive full in
I did, but gave it up a year later.
I had forgotten just how much regular practice is needed to be proficient, at even 20 yds.

Takes a lot of time dedication to be and stay proficient.

Believe I'm just now more a hunter than a particular weapon enthusiast.

SaltwaterWalt

I like 'em. Gets me back to my roots when I'm feeling nostalgic. Started on recurves/longbows in my younger years and saw the birth of compounds within my lifetime (age 69). I've gone full circle - traditional/compound/traditional. They weren't really called traditional way back then, it was just a bow, which everyone had (probably 80% were Bears, and the other 20% the rest ... Browning, Shakespheare, Wing, Pearson, etc. The Allen was the first compound and it was a clunky ugly thing. But when Bear and Jennings got on board building them, the popularity exploded about the time I was in the Army. The Bear Alaskan was their first compound and it sold like hot cakes. I killed a lot of small game with my recurve as a young man but didn't kill my first deer until the 80's when I bought a Bear Brown Bear compound, which had a wood riser and only 35% let off, but I thought it was a laser beam, LOL. I'm glad to see the renewed interest in "traditional gear" but it sure takes a lot of dedication to stay proficient enough to hunt with one. If you can't put the time in for that, I'd rather see you grab a compound and give both the deer and yourself a mental break from failure. ;)

Attachments

• longbow hog.jpg
    longbow hog.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 18

SaltwaterWalt

I did, but gave it up a year later.
I had forgotten just how much regular practice is needed to be proficient, at even 20 yds.

Takes a lot of time dedication to be and stay proficient.

Believe I'm just now more a hunter than a particular weapon enthusiast.
Understand completely LBLman. For me, a recurve is a 20 yard weapon ... after lots of practice. If I'm not in the mood to put the time in, I can pick up my compound with sights and be tuned up in a week, extending my distance to 35 yards.

Latest posts