Nebraska introduces July Elk Season

DeerCamp

Primary reason is crop depradation. For 5 counties in the SW part of the state.

Wish I knew some Nebraska landowners!

"The agency will make the unlimited either-sex elk tags available to landowners, resident, and non-resident hunters in select parts of five Nebraska counties with lots of elk damage and plenty of landowner tolerance for hunting problem elk. While anyone can purchase a tag, you must either own 80-plus acres within the depredation zone or obtain permission from a large landowner to participate in the special hunt. The unlimited tags will cost $20 for general residents, $40 for general nonresidents, $5 for resident landowners, and $10 for nonresident landowners."

AT Hiker

Approximately 3,000 elk reside in Nebraska. I suspect this "unlimited" permit allocation is much to do about nothing. They will probably find a whole lot more tag buyers than elk to be killed.
From what I understand of this there are a few animals located on private pivots that are causing extreme depredation. Not a whole lot of animals total, but they are parked in these areas and won't leave

AT Hiker

The internet chatter is NE G&F royally screwed this up. They supposedly completely ignored the conversation they had with the landowners. As for July, they are saying its a terrible time because the corn is not tall enough for the elk to come in, its hot/dry, peak irrigation season and with all the potential increase in traffic some are worried about fires.

redblood

I was in bartlesville oklahoma a few yrs back on business. It was the 1st week if august. Our hotel was right across from a bank that still had the time and temperature displayed in the sign under the bank name. Every day it read 112 to 115 and i believe it was telling the truth!

Latest posts